Austin Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I'm an MS-2 interested in Psychiatry. I realize that I still have a great deal of training left before then, but I wanted to get a feel for how finding work in Austin, TX is. Austin is where my wife's family is from and we would love to settle down there when the time comes. I know that in general, job prospects for psychiatrists are pretty good in most parts of the country. How does Austin compare?

Members don't see this ad.

Just have to google for jobs posted for Austin and the surrounding areas. Look to the VA system too. Network when you get into residency. You've got a few hurdles still left to jump....

While there are jobs almost anywhere if you look hard enough, Austin is probably the most saturated market within Texas and neighboring states. This is true for multiple fields of medicine. People are just drawn to Austin.

There are still opportunities that come available, but you will need to be more proactive.