Homoochan

10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Is it really a bad idea to go to Austrailian medical school if I want to practice in the states?

From what i've read austrailian schools are pretty good and their education (clinical and research) is considered quite solid around the world.. :scared:

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2004
SOCMOB
Status
Attending Physician
If you want to practice in the states, your best bet is a US program. They have their own US accrediting bodies and are known by US residencies.

After that, the offshore Caribbean programs (particularly the big 4) are probably your best bet as they're geared specifically towards US nationals who wish to return to the US to practice.

Once you get to schools in places like Australia, Ireland, Eastern Europe, etc. You run the risk of the curriculum being more similar to their country's medical system than the US'. This would pose difficulty when taking US licensing examinations like the USMLE and you would also likely experience difficulty when attempting to obtain a residency slot as residency directors will likely have less experience with graduates from those schools than the above mentioned.

In general... go to school in the country you want to practice.

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bummer, hanging out on the gold coast after a day of classes would be so awesome.

OP
H

Homoochan

10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Practicing in Austrailia won't be THAT bad either hm.. tempting

they only look at GPA and MCAT for first screen.

Then after interview (MMI) then it's 50% MCAT (no GPA here) and 50% interview.

very tempting! lol

JeetKuneDo

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Practicing in Austrailia won't be THAT bad either hm.. tempting

they only look at GPA and MCAT for first screen.

Then after interview (MMI) then it's 50% MCAT (no GPA here) and 50% interview.

very tempting! lol
Pretty tempting. I wonder how their health care is structured and what competition for jobs in cities like Sydney will be like.

RapplixGmed

Looking for the Ether
10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I've heard that in australia, nationals have priority over international students when it comes to residency placement. You'd have just as much trouble getting a good residency in australia as in the US if you go to an australian school.