Australia, New Zealand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmdddd

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What are the general requirements for admission to medical school in Australia? (I hear for most schools except Melbourne no prereqs are needed but they need a good MCAT score - is this correct?

2. What are the general requirements for admission to medical school in New Zealand?

3. This is a very critical question for me: If I am accepted, how in the world do I pay the staggering tuition? I have no idea about loans and I come from a very poor background (I am an American).

4. How easy or difficult is it to sponsor parents for permanent residency in Australia? Parents are Americans. If my parents cannot live in Australia with me and if I can't take care of them in their old age in Australia, I am definitely not interested in moving there permanently however attractive or high paying opportunities there might be.

5. How easy or difficult is it to sponsor parents for permanent residency in NZ? Parents are Americans. If my parents cannot live in NZ with me and if I can't take care of them in their old age in NZ, I am definitely not interested in moving there permanently, no matter what.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not usually the one to say this because I find it annoying but in this case it has to be said. With the exception of your last two questions, literally everything could be found with google and searching this forum. It took me less than 2 minutes to find the admissions requirements for UQ for instance...almost all schools are the same.

1. A bachelor's degree in any discipline with an overall GPA of 2.8/4 but the average accepted students likely have higher. Minimum MCAT is 24M with no scores less than 8 in each section. UQ and Flinders will allow a 7 in at least one section provided the overall score is above 24.

2. I don't know but I gather it's the same unless they don't have graduate entry programs.

3. You have no idea about loans but you come from a poor background? Did you do an undergrad degree? How did you pay for it?
Most North American students are paying for Australia/Caribbean with a combination of government and private loans. Canadians get loans from Federal/Provincial and then get a line of credit from a private bank. Americans use Stafford (I think but I could be wrong). In most cases of private loans you need a cosigner.

4. This question is kind of moot at this stage because you won't even be eligible for permanent residency while you're studying there. You can apply for it but you likely won't get it before you finish your degree. That being said, I don't think anyone can really answer that question for you except the Australian government or someone on these boards that is very well versed in immigration law.

I'm not usually the one to say this because I find it annoying but in this case it has to be said. With the exception of your last two questions, literally everything could be found with google and searching this forum.

3. You have no idea about loans but you come from a poor background? Did you do an undergrad degree? How did you pay for it?

- You know, you don't have to answer anything if it's that annoying to you.

- I worked when I was in the undergraduate program. If you are allowed to work and the tuition you pay is very reasonable, you don't need loans.

Look man, no one answered your post for 6 days. I was being nice. All I'm saying is that you asked a question(s) that you could easily have answered yourself.

Anyways hopefully the answers I provided are helpful.