1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Australia or Israel?

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by DocDrex1, Dec 22, 2008.

1. DocDrex1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

I'm a Canadian thinking of attending an Australian medical school. I also may be accepted to a school in Israel called BGU MSIH (applied and waiting for response). I'm not sure if you guys have heard of the school. I think I have a great shot at getting in since I have lots of international health experience and very high stats. I want to practise in the US (I'll have visa issues though) in the future and I'm trying to decide which will prepare me best for the USMLE and also maintain a good reputation (which the Caribbean doesn't have).

I want to know what current UQ students think of the curriculum? Do you feel it prepares well for the USMLE and would be favoured by program directors? I know that UQ doesn't specifically prepare for the USMLE steps, but I'm wondering if the curriculum covers the material sufficiently?

Currently I'm leaning towards BGU since it's an American style curriculum. It also has a traditional lecture style curriculum which I feel really favours my learning style. I look forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks for the help :)

Drex

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Meddie83

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think you're gambling either way. Each is going to have its high and low points as well as present hoops when trying to go the US after. I would pick which program/country you would prefer to study in and also which one you would possibly want to stay and practice in (staying could also be an issue, but at least you have more than one option).

I've never heard of the school in Israel, but I also never looked at applying in Israel.

4. gmacpac

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I have heard of the program. It is a good program with some affiliations in USA.

In my opinion....an IMG is an IMG.....doesn't matter where you graduate from. I personally will chose an institution and the country that I feel most comfortable with.

Best of luck.

5. DocDrex1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I like the BGU curriculum. It's an American style curriculum which will always help for the USMLE. Israeli schools tend to have strong ties in the New York area, so that can help for matching. I just don't want to overlook anything before making a decision though.

6. DocDrex1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The things that I'm considering at the moment are:
    1) respected medical school
    2) decent matching in the US - some Caribbean schools just don't have this
    3) preferably good USMLE preparation
    4) preferably more geared towards primary care

Thanks for the advice guys. Keep it coming!

7. gmacpac

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't think UQ particularly aims to aid in USMLE prep. I haven't started the school yet, but I didn't get that feeling from UQ.

BGU might be better in that sense because many students from NYC area go to BGU due to their strong ties with Israel. That being said, it is not unheard of to see a BGU grad match at a local NYC program. So BGU might be a bit better, given its established rep with some NYC programs. However, as mentioned in my previous post, an IMG is an IMG. BGU grads are probably on equal footing with UQ grads in other parts of the country.

A friend of mine with really good scores chose BGU over all USA programs because he wanted to live in that part of the world, and possibly work internationally.

In the end, it all depends on you. Where would you rather live?

UQ's teaching model is PBL. Many USA programs are turning towards that model, but that doesn't really change anything for an IMG. As an IMG, you will have to perform better than locals in your USMLE exams to acquire a decent residency spot.

I hope that made any sense :)

8. gmacpac

10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Both programs are respected
    Both programs offer excellent primary care training
    I don't know about BGU, but UQ doesn't officially aid in ANY USMLE prep.

You may want to pm Joenamma or any other senior AU grads. They can offer more insight into AU programs.

9. DocDrex1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm definitely leaning towards BGU largely because of it's international health focus and USMLE preparation. I also like the small class size.

I know some North Americans going to Australia and they intend to stay there. But it's just too far away for me to totally relocate my life there. However, having to option of practising there could be good.

10. redshifteffect

redshifteffect Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Personally the option of staying is what would sway me.

If for some reason you don't get a match in the US, or you choose to stay in Australia, it's always an option (even though it may be more difficult in the future).

I'm not sure what options you have in Israel.