Australian Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted (for those who applied in 2008)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giantaxon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Collective Australian application stats can prove useful for future applicants to AUS/NZ. I thought this forum was missing this for this cycle. So maybe this could be stickied? Eitherway, utilizing the following format below you can answer as many or as few fields as you wish. I am sure future applicants will appreciate your input!

(PLEASE KEEP THIS FOR STATS ONLY!)

I'm from: (State / Canadian Province / other)
My country of citizenship is:
Currently studying: (undergraduate or graduate course)
At this University:
My GPA is:
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: Verbal:
Biological Sciences: Written Sample:

I applied to: (which Australian or other university)

I am attending: program you are attending if accepted
I was accepted at: (Queensland, Monash, Wollongong, etc.)
I was waitlisted at: (Queensland, Monash, Wollongong, etc.)
I was rejected from: (Queensland, Monash, Wollongong, etc.)

My first choice school is: (one of the above, or a different North American or other university)

I have applied to medical schools this many times:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from: Missouri
My country of citizenship is: Pakistan
Currently studying: Finished BS (Chemistry) in May 2007; currently doing research full-time
At this University: University of Missouri
My GPA is: 2.88
My MCAT Scores were: 35Q (13P, 12B, 10V) and 34Q (11P, 12B, 11V)

I applied to: UQ, Wollongong; will apply to more soon

I am attending: undecided, but I'll be paying the deposit at UQ
I was accepted at: Queensland
I was waitlisted at: Wollongong
I was rejected from: none yet

My first choice school is: University of Missouri (cheapest option); still undecided on my favorite Australian school.

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 1

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing guys, gives some of us an idea of what to expect. Here are my stats:

I'm from: Ontario
My country of citizenship is: Canada
Currently studying: BSc (Psych)
At this University: McMaster
My GPA is: ~3.00 (mac has a funny system)
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences:8 Verbal: 10
Biological Sciences: 8 Written Sample: Q

I applied to: Wollongong, Queensland, Flinders, ANU and Monash
I am attending: waiting to decide
I was waitlisted at: Wollongong
I was rejected from: Flinders, ANU

My first choice school is: Wollongong

Last edited:
Country of citizenship: Indonesia
Graduated with: BA in biology & philosophy (premedical studies)
Illinois Wesleyan University (USA)
My GPA is: 3.25/4.00
MCAT: PS: 9, VR: 11, BS: 10 WR: Q

I applied to: Flinders, Wollongong, and Queensland. Soon: ANU and USyd.
I am attending: UOW
I was accepted at: UQ, Wollongong
I was waitlisted at: Wollongong (was shortlisted)

My first choice school is: Wollongong
I have applied to medical schools these many times: 1

Offered interview by Flinders, but I'm going to reject it.

Last edited:
I'm from: Florida
My country of citizenship is: United States
Currently studying: PhD Experimental Psychology (Behavioral Neuroscience emphasis). Earned MA, Experimental Psychology. BA, Psychology
At this University: University of Southern Mississippi (graduate), University of West Florida (undergraduate)
My GPA is: 3.7 (grad), 3.0 (undergrad), 3.33 (AMCAS undergrad)
My MCAT Scores were: 28N (9P, 9B, 10V) and 23P (6P, 8B, 9V)

I applied to: UQ, ANU, Sydney, and Monash

I am attending: not sure yet
I was waitlisted at: none yet

My first choice school is: University of Queensland

Congrats neulite!!! Did you hear from Oztrekk about the acceptance?

Congrats neulite!!! Did you hear from Oztrekk about the acceptance?

Yeah, I still have to get signed off by the head of the SOM before they send my offer out but Matt said it should be very soon before I get it in the mail.

That's awesome, congratulations!!!

Hey Neulite!
Just wondering if your status on the online oztrekk site changed yet?

i know there have been some speculations on here so i thought i'd enlighten everyone in case they didn't know...
I had my "consultation" today with the Deputy Head of the UQ SOM and that $9000 deposit required to accept your place in the program is FULLY REFUNDABLE!!!
definitely makes the decision that much easier!

I'm still waiting for my decision and it is driving me insane, so I decided to apply to ACER instead. I'm not as confident as I thought I was. Here is my stat, btw: GPA 3.25, MCAT 30Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Currently studying: MSc in Zoology
At this University: University of Calgary
My Undergraduate GPA is: 3.0
My Graduate GPA is: 3.85
My MCAT Scores were: 2007: 34R (PS:11, BS:13, VR:10) 2005: 29P (PS:10,BS:10,VR:9)

I applied to: University of Queensland
I am attending: Queensland
I have applied to medical schools this many times: Once

Hey Neulite!
Just wondering if your status on the online oztrekk site changed yet?

I just received my official offer letter and status change on OzTREKK, just to let you know.

Me too!!! It's so friggin exciting to finally be accepted somewhere!!! :soexcited:

Its definitely going to be more convenient for UQ internationals, the ones applying in regular cycle using ACER will be notified in August. This gives internationals some time to make arrangements for the move to Oz.

Now if only I could decide... UQ or Syd or Flinders or Monash or ANU? Too many choices, not enough variables...

Now if only I could decide... UQ or Syd or Flinders or Monash or ANU? Too many choices, not enough variables...

If you end up getting into all of those I would choose based on location. It's easier in the US when you have to choose between say Yale and Southern Illinois University.

If you end up getting into all of those I would choose based on location. It's easier in the US when you have to choose between say Yale and Southern Illinois University.

Yeah... I'm thinking Brisbane has the nicest weather and a good cost of living, Sydney is the most interesting in terms of culture (but that also means more distractions), Melbourne is still culturally diverse but less expensive than Sydney, Adelaide has a lot of interesting wildlife in the vicinity, and Canberra probably sucks. Based on that, I'm still confused.

Queensland, Sydney, Monash, UWa, Melbourne, and ANU are the biggest research schools in Australia. Schools like Wollongong and Flinders are more based on primary care education with a rural emphasis. Unlike the US, schools in Australia though tend to be roughly equal, then again there are fewer medical schools.

Big North American medical schools get the reputation because of their extensive research programs, in reality, the education and curriculum at US medical schools does not differ that much, maybe between DO and MD to a slight degree but among them, they are very similar.

Sydney isn't necessarily a distracting place, the area where the university is located is actually fairly quiet, at least I thought so, but everyone is different.

Last edited:
Brisbane all the way!!! Canberra and Adelaide don't seem as appealing. To me, Brisbane seems like the best place.

Sydney med is too expensive. Melbourne is a 4.5 year program.

But I think I can get a scholarship at Sydney for $10k, so that'll make the price the same.

Oohh..that scholarship would be nice! In that case, it's a much harder decision. Sydney and Brisbane both seem like really cool places! Sydney seems really entertaining but it's quite an enormous city. It seems too big for me and I'd prefer Brisbane. Living expenses must still be more in Sydney I'd assume?

Zuck

The scholarship will be harder for you... they offer it to one person in each continent, and I'm actually a Pakistani citizen. The criteria are MCAT and essay; I got a 35 on the MCAT, and I'm sure that I can write a better essay in English than all of the other Pakistanis/Indians/Chinese/Singaporeans/etc.

I'm sure that I can write a better essay in English than all of the other Pakistanis/Indians/Chinese/Singaporeans/etc.

really?

when I went there that scholarship was only for the first 2 years and was for half tuition; tuition was a lot less as well. just make sure you know that it is for all four years, otherwise that is going to hurt come third year.

Actually, Queensland has become the most expensive state in Australia, and real estate prices in Brisbane and the Gold Coast are higher than in Sydney and Melbourne. Sydney will be expensive if you rent an apartment with a view of the Harbour or Opera House but if you live in the inner west, which is where the university is located its the cost of living is actually not much different than Brisbane.

Both Sydney and Brisbane seem like really cool places.

I don't think Sydney is worth it if one doesn't get the scholarship. Sydney's tuition is about 10K more per year. That's 40K more over the entire 4 years. Way too much for me.

Zuck

I'm from: Canada
Currently studying: MSc
At this University: University of Calgary
My GPA is: 3.0 BSc 3.67 Masters
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 8 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 11 Written Sample: O

I applied to: Flinders

I am attending: Flinders
I was accepted at: Flnders
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

I'm from: Alberta
Currently studying: Finished B.Sc. Electrical Engineering
At this University: University of Alberta
My GPA is: 2.67
My MCAT Scores were: 38N

I applied to: UQ

I am attending: UQ
I was accepted at: UQ
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from:

My first choice school is: University of Alberta

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2

Housing in inner Brisbane is actually quite expensive. Check out rents in Herston, which is right where the Medical school and the RBH is located. In your first year, you will be in St. Lucia, which is another extremely expensive area. Still its more feasible to live further away from campus in Brisbane than Sydney. Sydney is planning a new transportation system that is supposed to be one of the finest in the world but it won't be ready for at least another eight years.

Sydney is a very different world from Brisbane, I think the people who live there tend to be more liberal. Melbourne is more in between. Each city in Australia can feel like a completely different country. Never lump Melbourne and Sydney as the same, you will definitely offend the locals.

If I did this all over again, I would pick Sydney over Brisbane. Anyway, I hope to move to NSW after internship year.

Last edited:
Housing in inner Brisbane is actually quite expensive. Check out rents in Herston, which is right where the Medical school and the RBH is located. In your first year, you will be in St. Lucia, which is another extremely expensive area. Still its more feasible to live further away from campus in Brisbane than Sydney.

This is why (as an international) I chose Flinders. Adelaide has one of the cheapest costs of living compared to nearly all other cities in Australia with Med schools. But, with cheap cost of living comes boring Friday and Saturday nights :p

Actually it isn't really that bad. I think it's better than my home city (Edmonton) in terms of stuff to do!

Anyway, congrats to all those that were accepted.

I'm from: Toronto, Ontario
Currently studying: Finished B.Sc. Psychology
At this University: McMaster University
My GPA is: 3.7
My MCAT Scores were: 28R

I applied to: UQ, Flinders

I was accepted at: UQ, Flinders
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: all Canadian and Irish schools

My first choice school is: I think UQ, but still undecided.

I have applied to medical schools this many times: 2

If you meet anyone from New South Wales, and Sydney in particular, they will always knock down Queensland. I never met anyone from NSW who had anything nice to say about Queenslanders. Yobbos and Bogans are very common in QLD. Queensland is the fattest state in the country, also far more insular than NSW and Victoria, a pub in one town refused to serve tourists who did not speak English. The cost of living advantage in QLD has narrowed a lot, in fact, its pretty much non-existent as the state now boasts the most expensive real estate in Australia, a Gold Coast beachfront shack sold for over $15 milllion to some professional skateboarder a couple of years ago, I would be its even more expensive now.

Brisbane is fairly close to the NSW border though, still if you have the chance to visit Northern Queensland, its one strange place.

Life as a medical student in Australia is different from North America, people here emphasize a work-life balance, people here even hold part time jobs in medical school. Most people dedicate 30 hours a week to self directed learning or studying as we know it in North America, which seems kind of light compared to North American medical schools. People do go out on weekends here, which is rare for US/Canadian medical students.

I have been kicking myself a lot for picking UQ over Sydney. I would definitely say cities like Sydney and Melbourne would offer a lot more to international students than other parts of the country.

Last edited:
I'm from: BC
Currently studying: Completed BSc Biology (genetics)
At this University: UBC
My GPA is: 3.5
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 13 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 11 Written Sample: P

I applied to: UBC, U of M, Wollongong, Flinders, USyd, UQ, UMel
I am attending: Flinders
I interviewed/am interviewing with: U of M, Wollongong, Flinders
I was accepted at: Wollongong, Flinders, UQ
I was waitlisted at:
I was rejected from: UBC, U of M

My first choice school is: North American-UBC, Flinders-AUS
I have applied to medical schools this many times:2

Last edited:
I'm from: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Currently studying: just completed my B.Sc in Physiology
At this University: McGill University
My GPA is: 3.40
My MCAT Scores were: first score from 2006, second score from 2007
- Physical Sciences: 11, 13
- Verbal: 7, 8
- Biological Sciences: 11, 11
- Written Sample: N, P

I applied to:
- Canadian: McGill, U of T, McMaster, U of Ottawa, U of Manitoba, UBC
- Australia: U of Queensland, U of Melbourne (via OzTrekk)

I am attending: U of Queensland
I was accepted at: U of Queensland
I was waitlisted at: None
I was rejected from: All Canadian schools (ugh...)

My first choice school is: would've been nice to go to McGill, but until I hear from U of Melbourne later in the summer, it's UQ for now

Well............it looks like I will be joining the rest of you in AU.

I'm from: (New York)
My country of citizenship is: USA
Currently studying: graduated 2003
At this University: St. Johns University
My GPA is: 3.3
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 8 Verbal: 9
Biological Sciences: 10 Written Sample: P

I applied to: UQ
I was waitlisted at: n/a
I was rejected from: n/a

My first choice school is: UQ

Going to an Australian school in my humble opinion is far better than any Caribbean school, the first thing is that living conditions in Australia are far better than the islands. Try living on a isolated island for a while with inconsistent electricity, water, diploma mill like teaching, and sky high prices for basic things. You will not run into any of this in Oz. There are a few whingy North Americans, often a Canadian student who gets homesick and winds up going back home, not knocking Canada but this is very common but its usually only one or two students. Most people who come here wind up liking it, and usually half decide to stay in Oz.

congrats to everyone's who's been accepted.

I'm from: Vancouver, Canada
My country of citizenship is: Canadian
Currently studying: B. Sc
At this University: U.B.C.
My GPA is: ~3.3/4.0?
My MCAT Scores were: PS 11, VR 6, BS 10, WS P

I applied to: Australia: Sydney, Monash, Flinders

I am attending: -
I was accepted at: -
I was waitlisted at: -
I was rejected from: all of them, because i do not meet their minimum MCAT requirement of 8/8/8/M

My first choice school is: Sydney

Needless to say, I will be retaking the MCAT in a few days and trying again for the next application cycle. Wish me luck!

I'm from: BC
Currently studying: Finished BSc Microbiology
At this University: UVic
My GPA is: 3.6-ish? We use a 9-point scale.
My MCAT Scores were: 14/12/13/R = 39R

I applied to: USyd, UQ
I am attending: USyd
I was accepted at: USyd
I was rejected from: Canadian schools

My first choice school is: USyd

Canadian schools hated me, cuz I don't have the volunteer work. But Australia liked my sexy MCAT score. Go figure. Australia will be more fun, anyways.

Just wanted to get this thread going again because it's so helpful! I think it should be sticky'd like in the Irish/UK discussions!!!

Anyways, just curious if those of you who posted (if you still read this) your GPAs posted your Australian wGPA or the non wGPA that you get from OMSAS and AMCAS? That would make a big difference...

I'm not going to put anything down since I will only be applying next year...but I will when I apply!

Just wanted to get this thread going again because it's so helpful! I think it should be sticky'd like in the Irish/UK discussions!!!

Anyways, just curious if those of you who posted (if you still read this) your GPAs posted your Australian wGPA or the non wGPA that you get from OMSAS and AMCAS? That would make a big difference...

I'm not going to put anything down since I will only be applying next year...but I will when I apply!

That's a great idea rayjay, but do you think a new thread should be started that says 2010?

I'm from: Canada, Ontario
Currently studying: Finished hon spec in biochemistry and microimm
At this University: University of Western Ontario
My GPA is: 3.4-3.5
My MCAT Scores were: Physical Sciences: 13 Verbal: 11
Biological Sciences: 13 Written Sample:R, 37R

I applied to: (UQ, Usyd, Flinders, Deakin)

I am attending: Still deciding
I was accepted at: (UQ, flinders, waiting for Usyd interview, waiting for Deakin)
I was rejected from: -

I have applied to medical schools this many times:1

Undergrad: Biology Major, Chem Minor
Undergrad GPA: 3.4
MCAT: Bio: 11, Physical: 9, Verbal: 11 (31)

Applied: USyd
Accepted: USyd

That's a great idea rayjay, but do you think a new thread should be started that says 2010?

Yeah I'll do that. I think I'll just start a general accepted/rejected thread rather than a cycle-specific one.