Australian Grads and the MCCEE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mika

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the MCCEE webpage and it appears that Australian grads need 1 year of supervised clinical training in addition to their medical degree before they are eligible to write these exams. Is this postgrad training? I was under the impression the prospect of returning to Canada for Australian grads was becoming a little brighter, but this really puts a real damper on things. Not to mention practically all residency programs you apply to require/prefer the MCCEEs. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't worry, I freaked out when I saw that too. (I have know idea where I'll end up: Can, US, UK, stay in Au?) Seems in the old days, Aussie grads weren't actually given their MBBS till after the completion of the pre-reg. That's definitely not the case now, and I spoke to MCC to confirm that.

hey pill counter i'm considering the same countries except for Can i.e US, UK or Au. dunno what to do- i'm having a hard time making up my mind. how do you plan on deciding where to go or are you just gonna take the exams and go wherever you make it??

Members don't see this ad :)
All depends, I have UK and Can citizenship, who knows how difficult the visa situation will be in the US in the coming years. In Aus, they only want you if you're willing to go rural, although there are many, many house officers and registrars from the UK who spend a year here just for the change. Canada is notoriously difficult to gain a residency spot, but word is it will become easier. I'm going to write the USMLE's and the MCCEE, I don't have any exams to write to come to the UK, so maybe I'll just have to flip a coin in two-three years time and decide what I'm going to do. The thing to remember is US and Can training is mutually recognised and UK and Aus recognise each other too, but it would be not be possible to move from the former two to the latter two, and vice versa.

Hi Pill Counter,

Thanks for the MCCEE info....what a relief! Do you know by any chance, how similar the USMLE and the MCCEE are?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mika:
•Hi Pill Counter,

Thanks for the MCCEE info....what a relief! Do you know by any chance, how similar the USMLE and the MCCEE are?•••••I wrote the MCCQE last year - i think it is quite similar to the MCCEE. If you write to the Medical Council of Canada they will send you the objectives of the exam and a practice exam. The practice was actually quite similar to the real thing (lots of repeated questions). Also, they have a few practice questions on their website.

<a href="http://www.mcc.ca/qi_des.html" target="_blank">http://www.mcc.ca/qi_des.html</a>

Goodluck

The MCCEE includes more basic medical science questions as it evaluates the whole degree, rather than the MCCQE, a qualifying exam. Remember Mika, as it stands now, it would still be next to impossible to come to Canada to do a residency. Even after passing the MCCEE, you would, for example in Ontario, have to apply to OIMG, get accepted, do 1 year at an Ontario med. school, then you would get Ontario Ministry sponsorhip to write MCCQE, and enter a limited number of specialties that are in demand. To add insult to injury, you're charged about 5 grand tuition per year of your residency. Until the system becomes saner and fairer, the best route is to enter an American residency, complete it, then write the corresponding CCFP or RCPC or RCSC examination. Even then, an American residency may not be enough to qualify for the exam. For example, Internal med is 3 yrs in US but 4 yrs in Canada, so you would need another year of residency to be RCPC eligible. The duration of surgery residencies are the same, and family is an extra year in US, so the only difficulties would be in Internal Med and its subspecialties, Opthalmology, Anasthesiology and PM&R (I think) which all are a year longer in Canada.
I think that's why people who go elsewhere for med school never actually return!