Australian MD wishing to move to US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ENDLRegem

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi i am 17 and have just graduated highschool in Western Australia. Whilst I got into my first preference medical schools in the different states, I opted for the 'direct pathway to MD' course at UWA as it is in my home state. It will still be another 3 years before I start my medicine course (which will be 3 yrs as i am doing my bachelors in medical sciences and biomedical engineering).

I want to move to the United States as my family is over there (particularly California). I am a bit aware of how difficult it is to secure internships in the US (especially California). I was hoping for some further clarification around whether it is possible for me (as an Australian student) to get a medical internship in California (or other US state) - and if possible the process or requirements.

UWA is listed in the directory of medical schools and i know people who have sat the USMLE. As i am still 3 years away from starting medicine, I dont have a preference for any specialty.

From what I know the US is highly competitive and each state has its own medical license - but i would really like to move there and be with family.

Thank you
(Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong section or repeated a post, I've tried my best looking around the forum)

Edit: I have only just learnt about UQ's lousiana rotation program, after having rejected the offer - hence trying to learn as much as I can early and not make other mistakes (as far as I'm aware UWA also allows for overseas rotation in penultimate and last years?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sorry for double posting but it won't let me add another edit due to coarse language?

As i have a placement guaranteed at UWA, and rejected provisional placements elsewhere including Uni of Sydney and UQ - is it possible/worth for me to try my chances at getting into a US Medical School (by sitting the MCAT?).

Although it is a bit disconcerting (having wasted so much time and effort for the UMAT and a 99.95 ATAR) - if this is a better method then i would definitely love to give it a shot (provided im competitive enough to get in lol).

Also as I'm only 17 I don't have a measly 200k lying around lol, so I'm not too sure if it is a viable option.
(In Australia I can get HECS-help for my university fees)

Sorry for double posting but it won't let me add another edit due to coarse language?

As i have a placement guaranteed at UWA, and rejected provisional placements elsewhere including Uni of Sydney and UQ - is it possible/worth for me to try my chances at getting into a US Medical School (by sitting the MCAT?).

Although it is a bit disconcerting (having wasted so much time and effort for the UMAT and a 99.95 ATAR) - if this is a better method then i would definitely love to give it a shot (provided im competitive enough to get in lol).

Also as I'm only 17 I don't have a measly 200k lying around lol, so I'm not too sure if it is a viable option.
(In Australia I can get HECS-help for my university fees)
(edited)
I would also suggest posting in the general international forum (maybe the US MD forums too). Try to catch the eye of US faculty or program directors.

UQ Ochsner is only for American citizens.

The long story short is what sean just posted.

Either go to med school at UWA take the USMLEs, see what your Step scores are then decide you're competitive for residency in the US.

Or do an undergrad uni degree - as planned in your next 3 yrs or so, take the MCAT (that is the only exam US schools accept) and apply to American med schools. Then decide whether to continue med at UWA.

Be prepared to drop $$ on MCATs and USMLEs.

No one has a few measly hundred k lying around. Wish it weren't so, but many are on loans for 250-300+. It's not fun to repay. But that maybe what you sign up for should you choose to go stateside for med school (change AUD to USD). Whereas the Australian feds will subsidize your education in Australia.

Last edited: