Australian Medical Schools Class of 2024 (Feb/March 2021 Entry)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which medical schools are you applying to?

• University of New South Wales

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Western Sydney University

• Bond University

• James Cook University

• Curtin University

• University of Notre Dame

• University of Adelaide

• University of Newcastle / University of New England

• Total voters

Damson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I'd get a general thread going for everyone heading here soon: for admissions, internship applications in four years, and everything in between.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for starting this thread. Planning on accepting my offer to UQ. Looking to head there late December/early January!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Same! Looking to head over around the end of the year. Have you started looking into housing options? I'm not quite sure when we should apply for housing.

Yes I have! Just browsing websites like flatmates for now. I read that it's best to head over and rent out an airbnb for a week or so while you look for and inspect places to live long term. UQMS has a cool website (Year 1 – UQMS) that breaks down first year and it looks like they prefer renting in the West End. I'm not quite sure yet though, still looking to get my COE first, then I hopefully get put in a group with fellow Canadian UQ MD students through OzTrekk, and then maybe plan together.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve received my COE and have confirmed UQ is the place for me. At first I was extremely hesitant, but now I’m very excited and looking forward to finally touching down in Brisbane.

@mud_a I’m a Canadian (Toronto) as well! Where are you from? I’m looking to maybe head out by Jan 4 or so. I was really eyeing south Brisbane so maybe I’ll see if that’s where I’ll end up. Thanks for the UQMS site! I haven’t seen that before till now.

I also accepted UQ a few days ago! I'm a Canadian from Vancouver. I will most likely be heading to Aus around the beginning of January.

I’ve received my COE and have confirmed UQ is the place for me. At first I was extremely hesitant, but now I’m very excited and looking forward to finally touching down in Brisbane.

@mud_a I’m a Canadian (Toronto) as well! Where are you from? I’m looking to maybe head out by Jan 4 or so. I was really eyeing south Brisbane so maybe I’ll see if that’s where I’ll end up. Thanks for the UQMS site! I haven’t seen that before till now.

Nice! I just received my COE and I'm in Toronto too! Did you apply through OzTrekk as well? South Brisbane is apparently a bit more expensive and where most Oschner students choose to live according to that UQMS guide. I probably won't know where I'll want to live till I'm there honestly.

Hi guys, I accepted UQ and got my COE. From Toronto as well living in Hamilton atm. I was thinking west end or south Brisbane. I'd be down to get together to go there (prolly cheaper to go as a group of few) or hang out before hand if covid permits. As @mud_a mentioned I'm pretty flexible and I think we won't know until we get there.

Reactions: 2 users
Nice! I just received my COE and I'm in Toronto too! Did you apply through OzTrekk as well? South Brisbane is apparently a bit more expensive and where most Oschner students choose to live according to that UQMS guide. I probably won't know where I'll want to live till I'm there honestly.

How long did it take you to receive your CoE?

How long did it take you to receive your CoE?

I paid the deposit through Flywire on Aug 22 and received my COE Aug 31. I emailed OzTrekk during this period to ask a similar question and they said UQ usually takes 5-7 business days before issuing the COEs. Apparently UQ waits until they get a few and then issue them all at once.

Hi everyone. I have been following this forum for a while. I accepted my offer at UQ as well. Feels good to see so many Canadians on the forum. I am from Alberta and would be down to meet up or get together if possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats @medman7@!

I was finishing up my visa last night, but was alerted by their system that if I submit now that my application won’t be assessed as priority because it’s >3 months out. So I’m just gonna wait to submit next month. What are you thinking @Hazle?

Congrats @medman7@!

I was finishing up my visa last night, but was alerted by their system that if I submit now that my application won’t be assessed as priority because it’s >3 months out. So I’m just gonna wait to submit next month. What are you thinking @Hazle?

Waiting for instructions from my agent tbh. We should be sending out visa apps in a month or two. No rush since approval doesn't take long.

Since you already filled out the visa forms, what documents/info did they request of you? @Zexalin

We’ve made a UQ fb chat. If anyone’s interested in joining just message me your fb name

Just to clarify the pathway to PR, is it subclass 500 student visa --> subclass 485 post-study work stream --> subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme visa?

Just to clarify the pathway to PR, is it subclass 500 student visa --> subclass 485 post-study work stream --> subclass 186 Employer Nomination Scheme visa?

Page 15