Australian Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umair

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the forum but have been reading the boards.
I am a Canadian Citizen and will most likely apply to Australian Universities in the coming year. I have read that working and living in Australia is as good as Canada or US. My question is how hard/easy is it to land a residency for a Canadian Citizen in Australia (after studying in Australia offcourse) and hence, work their later on (and are there any complications with the visas or pr etc. or any type of waiting period).

Apologies if its already been posted
Thanks and best regards

Members don't see this ad.

This hasn't just "already been posted"... it's been thoroughly discussed repeatedly in about half the threads on this forum. The problem is that there's no straightforward answer... there aren't enough residency spots to accommodate all the graduates (which means that international students will get the short end of the stick), but they are increasing the number of residents every year. Usually, US/Canadian students have some difficulty getting residencies in Australia, but the people on this forum say that most of their classmates did end up getting a residency in whatever country they wanted to be in.

Hi
I am new to the forum but have been reading the boards.
I am a Canadian Citizen and will most likely apply to Australian Universities in the coming year. I have read that working and living in Australia is as good as Canada or US. My question is how hard/easy is it to land a residency for a Canadian Citizen in Australia (after studying in Australia offcourse) and hence, work their later on (and are there any complications with the visas or pr etc. or any type of waiting period).

Apologies if its already been posted
Thanks and best regards

I agree that has been discussed repeatedly here is a brief summary:

1. Depends on the risk you are willing to take - the match rate for IMGs to get a spot in a Canadian residency is 5-15% but this can be increased with good LORs + Good interviews.

2. Depends on the specialities, if you want to be a GP much easier to get a match then in Plastics

3. Also with 2 in mind, it's also much easier to go back to Canada as a GP trained in Oz then it is to get a match in Canada

4. Pay + working conditions are much much better in Oz then in North America (and I can say this because I'm working in Oz, and have a few resident friends in Canada/US)so that is also something to keep in mind.

5. Getting a job in Oz is relatively easy (for now) but might change with new graduates coming in.

6. You can only write your MCCEE in your final year so you may not have enough time to organise work straight away. And Internship in Oz is definitely a 1 year contract, which if you don't plan to fulfill you should NOT apply for.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
I am not talking about coming back to Canada but rather staying in Australia and working there as a doctor (what is the risk involved in that in terms of the stats). Like you said, its a better living.

thanks for the info

There really aren't any official stats, and even if they were, they'd be meaningless because everything will be different by the time you graduate. The only decent answer to your question is that there will be residency spots for international students, but you shouldn't go there with the presumption that you'll be able to stay.

Still, if you don't get a residency in Australia or Canada, you probably won't have too much trouble getting one in the US.

Hi
I am not talking about coming back to Canada but rather staying in Australia and working there as a doctor (what is the risk involved in that in terms of the stats). Like you said, its a better living.

thanks for the info

As the poster above said, there's only really the experience of others that you have to go on. Currently internship jobs for internationals are easy to get. You can also plan ahead to increase your chances - instead of going home every "summer" do some research or rotations or anything to get yourself a LOR. Most people end up doing electives in the states for the same reason, Australia is no different.

Getting an internship job has NOTHING to do with marks, so don't waste your time trying to be the top person in your class...it's more about LORs, CV and perhaps even a bit of initiative. Try and find out who's on the admission committee of hospitals you want to work at and give them a call. Even better, try and get LORs from them, or from people in their fields.

Rural experience is also good to have, and most hospitals look upon this very favourably, so try and get some if possible.

As the poster above said, there's only really the experience of others that you have to go on. Currently internship jobs for internationals are easy to get. You can also plan ahead to increase your chances - instead of going home every "summer" do some research or rotations or anything to get yourself a LOR. Most people end up doing electives in the states for the same reason, Australia is no different.

Getting an internship job has NOTHING to do with marks, so don't waste your time trying to be the top person in your class...it's more about LORs, CV and perhaps even a bit of initiative. Try and find out who's on the admission committee of hospitals you want to work at and give them a call. Even better, try and get LORs from them, or from people in their fields.

Rural experience is also good to have, and most hospitals look upon this very favourably, so try and get some if possible.

Do some rural electives and make some connections in other words kiss some posterior. Maybe make yourself attractive enough for some Aussie guy/girl to marry you and then you got a foot in the door of this country.