Australian Pharmacist applying to American medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmToDent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was just hoping I could possibly get some advice about applying to medical school. I'm actually a practicing pharmacist in Australia. I'm actually a dual Australian-American citizen. I've been looking into American medical schools on forums and such but most information is about applying as an American undergrad student.

I assume I would have to take the mcat but I technically don't meet American medical school prerequisites because Pharmacy school in Australia is an undergrad course and all the classes I took were specialized for pharmacists. Not really the like the traditional premad program that an American student take. I also graduated with what is considered a pretty high GPA for a pharmacist student of 3.3 out of 4. From my understanding this wouldn't really be considered competitive in America for a traditional application. I think I'm in a fairly unique situation as far as I can tell. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I was just hoping I could possibly get some advice about applying to medical school. I'm actually a practicing pharmacist in Australia. I'm actually a dual Australian-American citizen. I've been looking into American medical schools on forums and such but most information is about applying as an American undergrad student.

I assume I would have to take the mcat but I technically don't meet American medical school prerequisites because Pharmacy school in Australia is an undergrad course and all the classes I took were specialized for pharmacists. Not really the like the traditional premad program that an American student take. I also graduated with what is considered a pretty high GPA for a pharmacist student of 3.3 out of 4. From my understanding this wouldn't really be considered competitive in America for a traditional application. I think I'm in a fairly unique situation as far as I can tell. Any advice would be appreciated.
US med school application services won't accept your foreign transcript (though individual med schools may want to see it converted into US equivalencies by a transcript translation service like WES). If you do a postbac, be sure it's done in the US or Canada.

Read this for an overview: A Guide to Applying US Med School with a Foreign Bachelor Degree

Reactions: 1 users