Australian Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sliced bread

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand coming from the U.S., mcat is still required for entry to Australian medical schools.

But, do they still require the same prerequisite classes be taken? I have a degree in Business.. have completed 1yr Biology, 1yr General Chemistry, 1yr Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuropsychology, etc... but no labs which are required for allopathic or D.O. Is this an oversight among Australian schools?

Hypothetically, I need only sit for the mcat..?

Cheers,

sliced bread

Members don't see this ad.

I understand coming from the U.S., mcat is still required for entry to Australian medical schools.

But, do they still require the same prerequisite classes be taken? I have a degree in Business.. have completed 1yr Biology, 1yr General Chemistry, 1yr Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Neuropsychology, etc... but no labs which are required for allopathic or D.O. Is this an oversight among Australian schools?

Hypothetically, I need only sit for the mcat..?

Cheers,

sliced bread
All of the schools have different requirements so I suggest you check the websites of the universities that you are interested in attending. I know it isn't uncommon for them require the traditional US pre-med requirements (bio, gen chem, physics, organic chem) but also courses in biochem, anatomy, and physiology.

Your best bet is to check the websites. There aren't many Australian med schools so it shouldn't take you too long to do.

Most Australian schools don't have any course prerequisites. You can get in without ever having taken a science class. Of course, that'd make life very difficult for you, but it's possible.

If you can get a 24 on the MCAT, then you should be able to at least get into UQ; this year, their admissions were essentially first-come-first-serve for people who had a 24. If you have a higher score, you'll have a reasonable shot at USyd or Flinders or Monash or ANU or Melbourne - most of them don't have any prerequisite course requirements, but that rule is always subject to change.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aussie schools don't have prerequisite courses, many students go to medical school without even taking one science class, and yes it could make your life harder.

wow weird, but doesn't apply to me... considering the MCAT requirement, who in there right mind would not take science classes prior to applying...but,

University of Melbourne - biochemistry, anatomy and physiology prereq's come into play with new program

University of Queensland - no prereq's

University of Wollongong - no prereq's

University of Sydney - no prereq's

Flinders University - no prereq's

The list goes on.... UoM only one.

wow weird, but doesn't apply to me... considering the MCAT requirement, who in there right mind would not take science classes prior to applying...but,

University of Melbourne - biochemistry, anatomy and physiology prereq's come into play with new program

University of Queensland - no prereq's

University of Wollongong - no prereq's

University of Sydney - no prereq's

Flinders University - no prereq's

The list goes on.... UoM only one.

many aussie's dont ake any prereqs. they must take the gamsat in lieu og the mcat. international applicants have the option of taking the gamsat or mcat.

UWA will be changing their course to offer the MD as UoM did and will also have prerqs. however this wont be for at least a couple more years.