Author Information After Graduating--Use Med School or Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sniderwes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an author on a paper I've been working on during med school. We submitted but had it returned to revise and re-submit, during this time I graduated medical school.

Is it kosher to change my author information to my new hospital for residency or is this a foul in the research world?

Members don't see this ad.

When you did the work you were at your med school. I would, personally, keep the affilitation as your med school even if you revised it since graduating. If you started it in medical school, but then wrote the paper in residency, then it would be appropriate IMO to affiliate with your residency program only (or both your program and your medical school).

Realistically, doesn't matter in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
The affiliation is where the work was done, not the current institution. If you're the corresponding, then you have a case to have your new email address, but the institution should remain the same.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The affiliation is where the work was done, not the current institution. If you're the corresponding, then you have a case to have your new email address, but the institution should remain the same.
I agree with my young colleague, but I'd like to add that usually you see an additional line after what would be your med school affiliation that goes like this:
1) present address [Y Dep't, X University Hospital, City, State]

Reactions: 1 users
I'm an author on a paper I've been working on during med school. We submitted but had it returned to revise and re-submit, during this time I graduated medical school.

Is it kosher to change my author information to my new hospital for residency or is this a foul in the research world?

I see people here are saying keep the med school affiliation, which is what I’d likely do. That said, I can think of several instances in which physician authors reached out to me to change their affiliation on papers we worked on together because they had moved institutions before a paper was published (we even had proofs for one of the papers, so they were close to appearing in print and the work was clearly done while they were still at their precious institution). Only mentioning it to say I don’t think you’re doing anything particularly problematic if you do put the residency affiliation as it clearly happens.

That said, could always ask the senior author for advice on this if it is eating at you. I could only see it mattering if you’re publishing some big NEJM paper as a first author and your institution wanted to use it for media as “a paper out of x published in NEJM showed...” - then maybe think more carefully!

I see people here are saying keep the med school affiliation, which is what I’d likely do. That said, I can think of several instances in which physician authors reached out to me to change their affiliation on papers we worked on together because they had moved institutions before a paper was published (we even had proofs for one of the papers, so they were close to appearing in print and the work was clearly done while they were still at their precious institution). Only mentioning it to say I don’t think you’re doing anything particularly problematic if you do put the residency affiliation as it clearly happens.

That said, could always ask the senior author for advice on this if it is eating at you. I could only see it mattering if you’re publishing some big NEJM paper as a first author and your institution wanted to use it for media as “a paper out of x published in NEJM showed...” - then maybe think more carefully!
Do you think fellowship programs might view it more favorably if I have my residency program listed on the paper? I'm just worried they might downplay research that was done back in medical school.

Do you think fellowship programs might view it more favorably if I have my residency program listed on the paper? I'm just worried they might downplay research that was done back in medical school.

No, nobody cares.

No one cares, a paper is a paper. The correct thing to do, as others have said, is to include the affiliation where the work was done. I would also make the argument that the affiliation should be at your medical school since you were still in medical school when the manuscript was originally submitted.

Ultimately it's a moot point, though, because I doubt anyone is going to actually look that closely.