autonomic nervous system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

supras2kracer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EK says that anything that is controlled by skeletal muscle can't possibly be innervated by the autonomic nervous system.

I missed two questions on the 30 min Bio lecture 4 exam because of this.

I'm pretty sure it's wrong (based on 3 years of physiology classes).

Question 71 says that the diaphragm is not innervated by the autonomic nervous system because it is skeletal muscle. If it wasn't how the hell would we breath while we sleep?

Question 73 says that shivering is not an autonomic response to temperature change. I don't voluntarily make my skeletal muscles contract and shiver. This can't be right.

Can anyone confirm or tell me why I'm wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

just because it's not autonomic doesn't mean it can't function while you sleep. your vision centers surely aren't ANS but don't you dream when you sleep? it's been a while since i took a neuro class but breathing while you sleep is still controlled by the brain, the medulla in particular.

I thought I remember learning that it was controlled by both ANS and SMS. Yeah, you can make yourself stop breathing voluntarily but that's only when you're thinking about it. Otherwise you breath automatically. I'll have to ask my neurology professor when I go back to school next week.

I'm gonna write it off as an unnecessarily tricky EK type question for now haha.

What about the shivering?

Last edited:
I thought I remember learning that it was controlled by both ANS and SMS. Yeah, you can make yourself stop breathing voluntarily but that's only when you're thinking about it. Otherwise you breath automatically. I'll have to ask my neurology professor when I go back to school next week.

What about the shivering?
just because it's not under conscious control doesn't necessarily mean that it's ANS. the CNS controls lots of things you don't "think" about. the hypothalamus can regulate your body temperature, you surely don't "think" about that either.

Members don't see this ad :)
just because it's not under conscious control doesn't necessarily mean that it's ANS. the CNS controls lots of things you don't "think" about. the hypothalamus can regulate your body temperature, you surely don't "think" about that either.

Good point. I'm seeing what you're saying now.

Thanks for the help

i would still encourage you to talk to a prof or consult a book if you can; i'm just a dude in a forum, i could be wrong.

i would still encourage you to talk to a prof or consult a book if you can; i'm just a dude in a forum, i could be wrong.

Yep, I already emailed him, we'll see if he doesn't mind doing work a week early.