Autopsies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnderGrad

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may seem like a strange sort of topic to bring up, but here goes. . .

I am a junior working on my B.S. I happen to know the local pathologist here in my town, and he knows about my interest in medical school. I thought it would be interesting to watch an autopsy, and when I asked, he didn't have any problem with it. I watched my first one a few weeks ago, and recently watched a second and third. I have found them both fascinating and educational. In fact, I really enjoyed it (morbid, eh?). Anyway, he said after I watched a few more, he would let me start assisting (whenever I had time).

What I was wondering was do you think this is a worthwhile activity to continue pursuing? Yes, I do enjoy it, but I was thinking more along the lines of the value of this activity in regards to applying to medical school, i.e. would an admission committee think that this was a worthwhile activity? If so, how could I draw attention to it, either in applications or interviews? Obviously, I think it's worthwhile or I wouldn't be doing it, but I just wanted to hear some feedback.

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey... Future Pathologists have to start somewhere!
smile.gif

I think it's fine with the AdComs. Just mention that you wanna be a Pathologist (no one's gonna hold a gun to your head when it comes time to decide).

Tim of New York City.

Tim,

Thanks for the bit of encouragement. Just one question, what if I don't want to specialize in pathology? Do you think that desire to be a pathologist would be the only justification for telling the adcoms about it? Not that I have ruled it out or anything. . . it's just WAY to early in the game for me to decided something like that. After all, I'm still just an undergraduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't have to want to go into pathology at all. Any type of medical experience will help, and watching (and especially assisting in) autopsies will show that you have the guts and the interest to go through things like Anatomy lab and become a doctor.

I say go for it! If you don't want to go into pathology, maybe try to get some clinical experience as well on top of it, to round yourself out a bit.

Nanook,

I am currently working in an orthopedic surgeon's office as well. I used to do his transcription (nothing glorious about that, but that's how I got hired), but now he is having me assist his nurse by taking patients back to the rooms and taking their histories. Then, once I fill up the rooms, I follow him around to see what he does.

I am hoping that I can get some other types of experience also (maybe in other doctor's offices?) but I don't really know how to approach obtaining more experience.

Thanks for your input.

Undergrad,

I think any clinical experience you have would help you on your application. I think the more involved you are, the better you look on the application. It's up to you to decide what you want to pursue before applying to med schools, but I think it'd be better if you choose one clinical work and try to involve more on it. This would help you have strong letter of recommendation and something to write in your essay.

Nontrad,

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by choosing one clinical work and trying to involve more on it? Do mean just stick to orthopedics only and forget the autopsies? (or vice versa?)

Sure, I think that activity is plenty justification for your desire to be a doctor. You just have to dress it right. But as the other poster said, just going through that kind of experience, without mentioning that you could possibly want to be a pathologist, would help a lot on your med school applications.

Tim of New York City.

Undergrad,

The people that I talked to told me that they would like to see applicants who really involve in real clinical works, not just observing. A clinical experience with various activities/involvement would make you look better on your application.
I think it's up to you to decide what clinical experience you'd like to do, then try to involve as much as you can in it. Hope this helps!

Nontrad,

If I actually assist, does that count as clinical experience? The pathologist said he would actually let me start doing stuff (Y-incision, reflecting, etc) after I watched a few.

Hi. I also am an undergrad, and I'm interested in finding ways to do clinical work. How do I find a doctor or clinic that will allow me to do these things you've mentioned? So far, every one says I can observe and that's it.

------------------
Romans 12:2

UnderGrad,

At the very least it will give you something interesting to talk about during your interview. Interviewers love that stuff, it lends more originality to your persona and helps set you apart from the pack. Definitely do it and anything else you find interesting. They don't weigh the worth of one activity over another. The important thing is to keep busy and stay involved in the medical field one way or another whether it be shadowing, volunteer or paid work.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004