Autopsy-Life & Death

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngnflyy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen this or heard of it? It's a series of 4 videos on youtube of an autopsy that was done on television in Europe. Really amazing stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYm_LaUuBA&NR

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering about the model they have with all of the blood vessels. Are all of those vessles real, or were they fabricated?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering about that hat...

i'm sorry to take the high horse (bushism) on this one, but doesn't this seem wrong to you guys? its really interesting and cool to watch but is so freakin dramatic as opposed to educational. i don't know, all of the audience has this guilty sense of intrigue on their faces. thanks for sharing though, i guess i'm definitely one of the guilty interested.

woops, was quick to write this before watching the second installment. i guess it is educational as well and cool to see. but still i can't get over that dude's hat.

i'm sorry to take the high horse (bushism) on this one, but doesn't this seem wrong to you guys? its really interesting and cool to watch but is so freakin dramatic as opposed to educational. i don't know, all of the audience has this guilty sense of intrigue on their faces. thanks for sharing though, i guess i'm definitely one of the guilty interested.

I haven't looked at the video, so I don't know about the 'dramatic' qualities of it, but I think a 'guilty' look of intrigue on the audience's faces is perfectly natural. This is NOT a typical event that most people's life experience has prepared them for. It brings a lot of emotions to the surface related to feelings about death, privacy, there are a lot of very visceral reactions to the 'blood and gore' aspect, you get the picture. The ethical consideration to me is a.) did the donor give consent for this type of use of his/her body and b.) are things being done in a respectful manner? If the answers are yes and yes, then kudos to them for providing an educational service, the human body really is a wondrous thing, and it's great that people are getting the opportunity to learn about it.

Regarding those nervous/guilty feelings, when you get into gross anatomy, believe me, you'll feel them as you first start learning to dissect. After a while (short while), it'll start to become less unnatural, and you'll start to understand how cavalier your professors are about the whole thing. As an interesting aside, a lot of those guilty feelings will come back for many people as they start practicing history and physical exam on 'real life' patients. It also seems like an invasion at first, but again, you get used to it.

anyone else having problems signing up for youtube?

Good points about the ethical side of it. I had that feeling at the beginning of the video, but by the time I got into the 2nd and 3rd videos it truly became an educational experience. Now what I do have a problem with is those plastination exhibits of bodies put into various poses. I'm sure that the people who donated their bodies knew what would be done to them, but for some reason its still distrubing to me to see bodies turned into artwork.

It is that guy who made Body worlds so of course he's on the verge of entertainment/education. So the blood vessel thing is probably real. They can plastinate the bloodvessels and have the other tissues digested. Its really neat.