Autopsy Rotation, PGY1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeratinPearls

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting PGY1 on autopsy. What are the hours like? Books to read? To what extent is autopsy covered on boards?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I will be starting PGY1 on autopsy. What are the hours like? Books to read? To what extent is autopsy covered on boards?

Thanks.

I showed up day One and had two.

There's a couple of really nice autopsy books that CAP has put out with diagrams.

Medical autopsy really isn't covered on the boards (except as a larger part of AP) but specific forensic questions will be (heavier focus on forensics on the RISE).

I've found Robbin's to be my primary reference when reading up on many of my autopsies. I wish the "bread and butter" pathology was a little more fresh in my mind before starting that rotation.

Simple things I'd suggest you review:
1. Hypertensive and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and effects on different organs
2. Infarctions in different organs
3. Post-mortem clot vs. thrombus
4. Basic histology and anatomy (heart and brain!)
5. Common injury patterns in lung

Hmmm, that's enough to get you started. I'm sure others will have more recommendations. The most important thing is to stay on top of your paperwork. Writing a clinical summary 3 weeks after cutting in the case is not fun! Believe me.