availability of dental jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrlantern

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it just me or is it that there are now generally fewer dental jobs than there were last year?

from my experience, I think '06-'07 was fair for dentists in the job market. Even the first half of last year, despite the economy, seemed tolerable if not great. I don't know what it is but the job market now appears to have finally accumulated the stress of the economy and the increasing number of newly-minted dental grads. I also can't even use the degree for anything else. The good days are surely gone........

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
complaining.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
You might need to move to someplace where dental jobs are available. Or, there is always a Castle Dental nearby.

is it just me or is it that there are now generally fewer dental jobs than there were last year?

from my experience, I think '06-'07 was fair for dentists in the job market. Even the first half of last year, despite the economy, seemed tolerable if not great. I don't know what it is but the job market now appears to have finally accumulated the stress of the economy and the increasing number of newly-minted dental grads. I also can't even use the degree for anything else. The good days are surely gone........

seriously, your getting out of hand. on one hand i feel sorry for you (if your real and not a fictional character) and on the other hand i cant feel sorry for someone who's not willing to help themselves. like many, many people have told you many, many times before; get the f*ck out of NYC. there is a saturation of dentists there, and unless you can set yourself apart (which you obviously cant, with your defeatist attitude) you need to get out. I'm an '09 grad and had no problem landing a job, and from speaking to classmates, nobody who wants a job doesnt have one (may not be ideal, but it pays the bills). seriously, grow some nads, take control of your life, and get out of NYC. i'm sorry if this is a little harsh, but your beyond hand holding now...

I wasn't talking about myself.

I just want to know if anyone else is noticing a trend in the job market. I'm referring to the job market in general, and I'm not talking about a specific location.

I wasn't talking about myself.

I just want to know if anyone else is noticing a trend in the job market. I'm referring to the job market in general, and I'm not talking about a specific location.
Yup, I see a similar downward trend in southern California. Telling MrLantern to leave NYC is like telling me to leave California. I will never leave this beautiful state. What’s the point of making a lot of $$$ and not being able to enjoy the good food and beautiful weather every day?

Yup, I see a similar downward trend in southern California. Telling MrLantern to leave NYC is like telling me to leave California. I will never leave this beautiful state. What’s the point of making a lot of $$$ and not being able to enjoy the good food and beautiful weather every day?

he obv hates his life, and you don't.

he obv hates his life, and you don't.
I’d hate my life too if the owner doctor made me do a lot of $0 amalgam fillings on the HMO patients. These patients don’t even appreciate what you’ve done for them. They think they have the best insurance plan and they want all of these $0 fillings done in 1 appointment:eek:....And there are a bunch of these patients in the reception area who also want all their fillings and crowns done in 1 appointment.

I’d hate my life too if the owner doctor made me do a lot of $0 amalgam fillings on the HMO patients. These patients don’t even appreciate what you’ve done for them. They think they have the best insurance plan and they want all of these $0 fillings done in 1 appointment:eek:....And there are a bunch of these patients in the reception area who also want all their fillings and crowns done in 1 appointment.

And if you don't do it in one sitting, they'll give you one star and b!tch about on yelp for the whole world to see! That's what happened to my friend in California. DMOs are such great practice builder.

HA! I GOT YOU BEAT! LOL

I got paid $10 for each amalgam, $15 for each anterior composite...and this group practice I worked for wanted me to pull in $2000/day in production seeing 10-15 (most HMO) patients/day.

HMO rates (from memory)- $100 crowns, $25 routine extractions, $50 surgical extractions. The company kept the capitation, and only what I collected (the patient portion) was credited to my production.