Available Positions Oklahoma Expansion (Intern, CA-1)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocSooner08

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An OU resident here, it isn't completely finalized, though my understaning is it will soon be. Hope is to expand from 8 to 12 positions for all classes, starting with next years intern class and CA-1's Classes of 2013 and 2014.

If interested contact the department - I sure like it here - but I guess I'm biased. Hope we can get the best candidtates possible as it is happening post scramble. Good Luck all!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also a resident at OU and think the program is phenomenal! Great training, great residents, great cost of living. We are looking for some good quality residents to be part the group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, do you know when they might start taking applications or doing interviews? Will it be a July 1st start date? Sounds great.

Last edited:
Can someone please send me info on how to apply for CA-1 or CA-2 spot please? Thanks in advance

Firstly, you don't just apply for a CA-2 position without having satisfactorily completed a CA-1 year. For some reason, non-anesthesiology people tend to not understand this. CA-1=PGY2 and CA-2=PGY3. Secondly, you contact the program directors/chairman directly via email, snail mail, phone, facebook, whatever. Ok, maybe not facebook though:laugh:

Just wanted to let everybody know that OU now officially has the go ahead to add 4 spots per year. The goal over the next month is to add 4 each to the PGY1 and CA-1 year. If anybody has any interest, the website is Linky. If you have any questions, feel free to email or message me.

As stated above, it's a great program and is continuing to get better. There are currently 4 new buildings being built at the medical center. Our education and opportunities are going to continue to get better. The cost of living in Oklahoma City is second to none. We'd really like to have some great residents added to our program.

I'm an incoming PGY1 at OU. This is very interesting news.. Can candidates who scrambled into back up specialties, back out and go anesthesia at this point?

I'm an incoming PGY1 at OU. This is very interesting news.. Can candidates who scrambled into back up specialties, back out and go anesthesia at this point?

I'm not really sure. I thought that it would be a contract violation but I could be wrong. I guess it never hurts to ask.

PGY1 Anesthesia, realize I was a little vague.

So do you mean CA-1? If so, I'm pretty sure you can switch to whatever you want if someone will take you. It's fairly common for people to switch after their intern year.

If you mean PGY1 (intern year), you sign a contract with NRMP saying that you'll go where you match/scramble. So if you end up switching before you actually start, I believe you are violating that contract. However, there may be some exceptions but I haven't really researched it.

No, I'm one of the incoming interns of the group of 8 that matched. Not looking to switch anything, just asking hypothetically wondering where my 4 new classmates might come from.

My understanding is that most likely if they add people to the pgy1 class (emphasis on the if), they will most likely be people already in residency who are willing to repeat their pgy1 year in order to switch. That was how it was explained to me by our program director, but that was about a month ago so things may have changed by now.

Kavedeweller, any luck yet in finding a spot?

The CA-1 positions have all been filled, they filled 3 out of the 4 PGY-1 spots, but I don't think they're even considering adding another this close to July 1.

Hello to all the Sooners!!!!!!

I have just finished my CA2 year and for many family health issues I need to transfer. My husband is an alumni from OU, in fact went to school and is close friend with one of the becoming CA2's, Jeremy. Needless to say we're sooners. :)

All I need to find is a CA3 spot to finish up. We have family in Tulsa, so this would just be great. I know that in most programs the total number of spots can be exchanged amongst the different years, so given the fact they have not filled one of the new junior spots, do you think they might want a senior resident?

Let me know. And thanks in advance

Lulu