Average amount of school loans????????

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jlsrn, Nov 10, 2001.

1. jlsrn

jlsrn Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the average student comes out of med school oweing in school loans???? Thanks. :eek:

2. e2k

e2k Member
    7+ Year Member

I'll be about 180K in the hole when I finish. I think this is fairly typical for people with no other form of financial support but loans.

ERIC

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can check average indebtedness for different schools from the <a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm" target="_blank">U.S. News Medical School Rankings</a>.

4. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;)
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't know what the average according to "official" reports...but the fact is that the amount owed is extremely variable depending on every individual situation.

Some people have parents that pay for tuition & books, but require their kids to pay for the rest..

Others have EVERYTHING paid for them...

Others, like myself, have a spouse, but still have to take out the full amount of loans...

Others have to take out the full amount because they have no other means of support....

In addition, WHERE you go to school will make a HUGE difference in your indebtness. I will be borrowing ~25,000 a year while I'm in medical school (on top of the $50,000 I owe from undergrad) to cover ALL my expenses at a "state" school. For someone at a private school, $25,000 probably wouldn't even cover tuition, let alone any other expenses (housing, books, food, etc).

So, as you see, asking the "average indebtness" is kinda pointless. You need to look at your situation (where your money comes from & how much) vs where you want to go to school....subtract one from the other and you'll get a rought idea!