"Average" applicant interview invite time-line?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akathisia

gait plagerist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to say congratulations to all those who have received early acceptances! Great job and well deserved for being on the ball, for all your hard work and for having all your ducks in a row, EARLY. Bravo!

However, I'm not an early bird. I sent my AADSAS application later (AADSAS app sent 8/16). I'm wondering if someone could give me a realistic time-line/time-frame (I recognize this will be an educated guess at best) of when applicants who applied at roughly the same time as I and who are similar to myself (stats wise) should begin to expect to hear from schools concerning interviews and/or rejections?

Ah.... that was convoluted. I'll try again. Hypothetically speaking, can anyone tell me when the "AVERAGE" applicant (average GPA/DAT/application submission date) should begin to start hearing from schools concerning interviews and/or rejections?
In my case I?m only concerned with the California schools.

I?d really appreciate any advice or information on this matter. I?m trying not to freak out but as time ticks by I?m becoming more and more anxious.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I sent my application in on 10/06 to AADSAS.

AADSAS mailed out my application on 11/10 to all the schools.

My stats are below average:

3.0x overall gpa
2.99 science gpa

19/17/18 DAT

I got an interview invite today to UT-Houston. The interview is next monday (Really, really, really short notice).

Contact the schools via email and let them know that you are interested in their school. I did this with UT-Houston and an interview was granted. Good luck.

rezdawg ,

what can u write in the emails without sounding like its too much?
i think its an excellant idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
With UT-Houston, I told them that I am a Houston resident, so their dental school offers an ideal situation because I will be able to stay close to home while attending dental school. I told them that I know that given my academic history, gaining admission may be difficult to come by. Nonetheless, I am very interested in their school and everything it has to offer. I also said that I have an additional letter of recommendation from a dentist that I hope can further supplement my application.

That was the gist of the email. It was something to that effect. Its not much, but it cant hurt you. If anything, they will see this in a positive light. I did this last Saturday (2 days ago). Monday morning, I received an email telling me that there is an interview slot open if Im interested. I highly doubt I would have gotten the interview had I not sent out that email.

Just be honest in the email. Everything I said in that email was the truth. Tell them why their school interests you and what makes you want to go there.

And I gotta give thanks to my boy avingupta...he showed me the way.

Hey,
thanks for your reply, glad you got an interview, however, I am looking for a more broad estimate on when the average applicant should start hearing from schools concerning interviews without extra intervention on the applicants part.

thanks

Reza,

have you received any acceptences yet or are you starting to interview??

akathisia,

Thats a pretty hard question to answer. It depends on what is "average"?? I remember a few months back where some posters were ticked about getting a 19 on the PAT and some were ecxtatic about the same score. I know people with "average" scores who have already had interviews because they work or volunteer at the school. Second round interviews are already going on, so I would expect that anyone who didn't have the stats to get early interviews (or got their application in late..although yours wasn't THAT late) should start to hear soon..especially as people start to decline offers. Another reason I would say it is a great idea to write the school an email is that people who are being accepted to other schools are now calling to decline interviews they had scheduled with other schools. If you express an interest and have the ability to go on short notice, it may work out to your benefit. Hope I was of some help. Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by Comet208
Reza,

have you received any acceptences yet or are you starting to interview??

Im just starting the interview process.

Schools received my application on 11/10.

I hope to get a couple more, but dont know if that will happen.

I'm in the 11/10 mailing, although I submitted my application on SEPTEMBER 7th. I have received two interviews: UMKC and Case Western (wait list).

I have received a letter from all of the other schools saying that they received my information and will be reviewing my application in the future. I have no idea if I will get any other interviews, although I applied to 8 other schools.

I turned in my 2ndary application for NOVA and I got an e-mail today, just saying they received it.

What schools are you applying to and what have you heard? I'd love to hear what is going on with someone who is in the same situation as me.

Thanks and Good Luck,
Jessica

So if I get this correctly, Case wants you to come out and interview for a spot on their wait list?! That sounds pretty stupid to me. Why don't they interview everyone for acceptance, then put some on the wait list? I would be very hesitant to pay to go to an interview for the waitlist - that's crazy.

Originally posted by jaap
I would be very hesitant to pay to go to an interview for the waitlist - that's crazy.

But if Case is your only option to get in, then I'd do whatever it took for a chance to get accepted.

zimaad,

yeah, I know "average" has quite a broad and loose connotation. Concerning the "average" applicant, I was talking about a concocted, or hypothetical applicant with average scores and GPA possibly derived from previous years acceptances statistics along with an imaginary middle-of-the-road application submission date. We could assume that this hypothetical applicant did all the correct pre-dent stuff i.e. volunteer at dentist office, etc. I know this is getting a bit wacky?. I probably don?t need to go on any further with my hypothetical case I think you answered my question adequately. You feel we are in the second round stage of the application cycle. This is because first round is for all the early birds, right? First round interviews were only for people that applied within what time frame would you say? And, if I'm reading you correctly, second round is basically ADCOMS going through "all the rest" of the applicants who weren't either early applicants or really strong candidates? Agree? This would imply it?s anybody?s guess at this point and the waiting game shall continue onward.

Thanks again for your advice.

jes1ca,

(If you were addressing me in you last post), I only applied to California schools. UCLA, UCSF, UOP and USC (in no particular order).
Congratulations on your interviews thus far, I wish you the best of luck.
I haven't heard anything from the schools that I applied to besides that my file is in review, thus the reason for my initial post. I'm getting a bit antsy to say the least.

Keep me posted on your interview/acceptance status.

Paul

in response to the case western alternate interview (which really sucks), it is because of the time my application was turned in. sometime in october, they stop inviting people for admission, and they begin interviewing for the wait list. if i hadn't been screwed by AADSAS (i turned my application in on september 7th, mailed on 11/10), I could have possibly gotten a "real" interview. there have been a lot of posts about case's alternate list thing in other threads.

at this point, i will take what i can get, though. i want to go to dental school next year.

good luck to all of you late applicants, and keep me posted on when you get interview invites :)

this is just my reasoning during the application process:

Alrite, since I think I applied just a little late for each school to have time to consider me, i will tell you that. Some schools fill up with interviews quick, so they stop sending invitations very early, as early as Oct(mid). So in that case, whether you applied at the beginning of sep. or later, and then by the time schools get your app, they might not have time nor energy to review more at this point cause they gave a lot of interviews already. Some other schools however, do it continously, and it's not late, as it was for me with some schools. I applied sep 3rd, they got it Oct8th... and two weeks later i started getting a few interviews. that could be scheduled before dec. at the end of Oct, all of my other interviews I was not able to schedule not until Jan/Feb. So , that told me that to be interviewed by all schools that gave me one before Dec 1, I should have applied a little earlier.

Another issue is that it is very hard for california students to get in to CA schools, cause there is a great competition, because of more applicants and the fact that UOP and UCSF are very good schools!!

akathisia,

My basis for saying that they are in the 2nd round is mostly due to the fact that first round offers have started going out. Obviously, this doesn't apply to all schools. My being from east coast, my knowledge of how the California schools is limited. It may be beneficial to look at the stats thread and see if people with similar stats to you got first round interviews at the schools you are interested in. I think the answer is YES to most schools. Maybe calling the schools to find out the status may let you know where you stand. Possibly, they received the application late enough so it is in review still or something like that.

Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by jes1ca
in response to the case western alternate interview (which really sucks), it is because of the time my application was turned in. sometime in october, they stop inviting people for admission, and they begin interviewing for the wait list. if i hadn't been screwed by AADSAS (i turned my application in on september 7th, mailed on 11/10), I could have possibly gotten a "real" interview. there have been a lot of posts about case's alternate list thing in other threads.

at this point, i will take what i can get, though. i want to go to dental school next year.

good luck to all of you late applicants, and keep me posted on when you get interview invites :)

jes1ca,

You have pretty solid scores if I remember correctly. Case is apparently sending out two different interview invites. One for the waitlist and one for a spot in the 2008 class. I got the later, but decided to cancel my interview. I think you'll definitely get in somewhere, so if you wanted to save some money, I'd stay away from Cleveland. Unless you want to see the Cavs play, then again I would suggest you also stay away from Cleveland.

Thanks Zurich,
For now, I am taking whatever I can get.
Jessica