average comlex score for FM or IM in ny/nj

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

letsgomedical

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in 3rd year and i'm looking into FM/IM....
the problem is i got 470 on my level 1 (I know...below average!!) and I am trying to stay in NY/NJ area for my residency.
I was wondering what average board scores are like for FM/IM residencies in the northeast area.
also, are level 1 and level 2 weighed the same in applying for residency programs?
any feedback would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
More FM than IM. You're going to have to audition for IM unless you score like 600 on step 2. Getting more competitive, esp in the NE.
thanks for your feedback.
I don't want to be unrealistic about my chances.
Would it be wiser to give up IM and audition for FM and apply thoroughly FM?
how important is auditioning for FM? I've been hearing mixed reviews - that auditioning for FM can actually screw up your chance if you make even a slight mistake...

More FM than IM. You're going to have to audition for IM unless you score like 600 on step 2. Getting more competitive, esp in the NE.
I'd say it depends on the caliber of program. But, I do agree with the auditioning bit. The DO profession is all about the audition rotation unless you do super stellar on the boards then they sometimes overlook scores and don't have arbitrary cutoffs.

I'd say it depends on the caliber of program. But, I do agree with the auditioning bit. The DO profession is all about the audition rotation unless you do super stellar on the boards then they sometimes overlook scores and don't have arbitrary cutoffs.
thank you for your reply.
So I take it that I should audition for FM.
I have been debating between IM and FM but I really don't want to be unrealistic, and I would rather play it safe and increase my chance of staying around at NE.
Should I take USMLE for step 2? would that give me more opportunities to apply to more programs in NE?

Don't abandon IM if that's what you want to do. Don't abandon anything that you set your sights on, but be realistic and improve your chances of matching however you can. Without aways you'll probably get interviews easily for DO FP especially if you improve over 500 on step 2. You'll get some interviews in IM if you do well on comlex step 2 as well. Better you do, more you get. With aways you'll be a big spot on a programs radar if you do well vs a blip with some numbers on an app and a few letters from people the PD doesn't know.

Step 2 is more clinical, its easier to take with clerkship experience, and it's becoming more and more emphasized by IM FP and ER. Just do your best..make some sacrifices and push yourself. Think, would you have wanted yourself to have given it your all and study an extra 2 months for step 2...10yrs down the road? You could apply to both specialties...there are a LOT of DO FP residencies all over the east coast. Taking usmle 2 would not only open your options to more MD FP programs and IM if you do well, but studying to do well on it, uworld, will most likely lead you to knock comlex out of the park.

Last edited:
If you want to stay in the NE, do well in your step 2, do family and you'll be fine. Audition at specific programs, and do well on step 2 and you're golden.

If you want more options, smoke your step 2/ pass your pe before you apply and consider usmle for the MD FP vs IM.

Honestly, look at the programs where you'd be interested and see what they require...but a killer usmle 2 never hurts.

agreed. The E-ROADS specialities would be more the 600+ club for AOA. Now if your talking about ACGME IM programs that have good reputations then I agree.