Average COMLEX with terrible USMLE step 1. EM out of reach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bears1992

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMLE-214
COMLEX-539
Preclincal grades are in the toilet but I’ve never failed a class or board exam.

Just got my scores back and I’m pretty shocked at my step 1 considering it wasn’t even close to my UW2 score. Other than doing well on step 2 and applying to 100+ residency programs, is there anything I can do to keep EM as a realistic option?

Members don't see this ad.

1594510323576.png

You need good sloes, and a just be average or close to it on step 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
USMLE-214
COMLEX-539
Preclincal grades are in the toilet but I’ve never failed a class or board exam.

Just got my scores back and I’m pretty shocked at my step 1 considering it wasn’t even close to my UW2 score. Other than doing well on step 2 and applying to 100+ residency programs, is there anything I can do to keep EM as a realistic option?
I think you can still match, em puts more weight on sloes and step 2, your comlex is good enough for EM, lots of(~60) former AOA programs that are still very much in reach for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone else. Definitely not out of reach, you just have some business to take care of from here on out, I.e. sloes and Step 2.

Reactions: 1 user