Average COMLEX with terrible USMLE step 1. EM out of reach?

bears1992

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
USMLE-214
COMLEX-539
Preclincal grades are in the toilet but I’ve never failed a class or board exam.

Just got my scores back and I’m pretty shocked at my step 1 considering it wasn’t even close to my UW2 score. Other than doing well on step 2 and applying to 100+ residency programs, is there anything I can do to keep EM as a realistic option?

libertyyne

5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
1594510323576.png
You need good sloes, and a just be average or close to it on step 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

FutureDoctor5000

2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
USMLE-214
COMLEX-539
Preclincal grades are in the toilet but I’ve never failed a class or board exam.

Just got my scores back and I’m pretty shocked at my step 1 considering it wasn’t even close to my UW2 score. Other than doing well on step 2 and applying to 100+ residency programs, is there anything I can do to keep EM as a realistic option?
I think you can still match, em puts more weight on sloes and step 2, your comlex is good enough for EM, lots of(~60) former AOA programs that are still very much in reach for you.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

AnatomyGrey12

5+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I agree with everyone else. Definitely not out of reach, you just have some business to take care of from here on out, I.e. sloes and Step 2.

Reactions: 1 user

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads