Average GPA, Low Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems like I'll be reapplying next year as I'm too burnt out to restudy for the MCAT right now and application date is soon. I know I have no shot MD, but I included that anyway.

26 years old, white male

Great school, but not IVY

B.S Psych (neuroscience) cum laude, dean's list, psi chi
Associate's Criminal Justice cum laude, dean's list
3.6 GPA (science is about the same or higher)
27 Mcat (8/9/10)

Haven't worked out the hours yet but these are my EC's

Just started working full time as an EMT.
Volunteer on ambulance since August 2012
Crew chief (officer status)
Board Assistant (public relations)

Hospice volunteer since January 2013

1 year research with marmoset monkeys (no pubs)

1 year TA for endocrinology

1 year RA for students

6 months soup kitchen volunteer
6 months volunteer with Alzheimer's patients in neuroscience club

50 hours shadowing several radiologists
30 hours shadowing DO

Musician (drums) for 24 years, hence the later graduation. I was touring and playing shows after high school. I was also an officer in my last, most serious band as we ran the label as well.

I was also a Varsity ice hockey and roller hockey player, as well as travel roller for several big names. I still play for fun.

I rock climb both outdoors and indoors.

So far I have LOR from radiologist, calc teacher, science teacher.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats look great for DO, and should have no doubts about getting at least one acceptance.

Don't completely knock yourself out of MD. I have a 3.4 GPA, same MCAT, and I was waitlisted at a new MD school. You could throw a few low-tier MD schools in the list. Just saying you may have a chance...

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are non-zero but not very high for MD. Consider your state schools and a few other low-tier private schools if you can afford to.

You are highly competitive for DO schools. You will have a good cycle applying to them.

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I also quickly typed up that post- not a huge bump, but I have a 3.7 GPA. No C's in any science courses (Mostly A's), I just happened to get 3 C's while in community college which hurt my GPA.

My state (New York) has a ton of schools but unfortunately they're all pretty darn good haha. I'd be happy to attend Nycom.

I just need to contact the Dr. I shadowed for a letter. She went to nycom!