Average Grants and Scholarships Offered by Texas Medical Schools - Advice for A Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Average Grant offered by a Texan State Med school for Matriculant

• 7K>

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • <7K

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Alivation

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is a Texas Pre-Med here.

While researching Medicine and Medical schools, I have been focusing, nowadays, on the grants and all the different types of aid I can receive if (Hopefully) I get accepted to a Medical school/various Medical schools.

So, can you guys guide me on how much (on average) state medical schools in Texas give out aid? For example, if I come from (let’s say) a lower middle-class family and i got accepted to a state school. Also, does the aid package depend on the MCAT scores and GPA and acceptances of the student?

Please guide me on how much of an amount (in grants) an average Medical student (just accepted) can receive from his state school that he decides to go to, and how negotiating can help (even if the matriculant does not have too high MCAT/GPA scores).

Thank you in advance. Any help would be appreciated, especially from current Med students or graduates.

Members don't see this ad.

Guys, I would appreciate any replies. Please do.

Purchase MSAR, look at only the Texas schools, compare the average graduate indebtedness with the total 4 year COA, now you have your answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If your family income is $2 million, you're probably not going to get need-based aid (which is far and few between at that).

Go look at MSAR and the school websites for Texas schools. There's only 14 schools for you to look at (Category:Medical schools in Texas - Wikipedia). The information should not be that hard for you to find.

Reactions: 1 users
Texas tuition is already highly subsidized by the state, which is why tuition is so low. With that being said, I don’t see a lot of need based scholarships being handed out but I believe schools give merit based ones.

Thank you. I would have appreciated better, more specific replies from real-life experiencers. But thanks anyways.
What do you guys think would be the average grant offered (per semester) to a student whose family income is, like, $10,000?

like, $10,000
Chances are, if a school offers need based aid then you would qualify for the largest need based aid they offer. That will be highly school specific and variable so an average is meaningless
I would have appreciated better, more specific replies from real-life experiencers.
All of the answers you need you have access to already. Look at MSAR and past school specific threads. Additionally, the applicant pool is large, few of them are Texas applicants, even fewer of them are TX applicants who have actually received scholarships, even fewer of them use SDN, and even fewer of them have used SDN in the last 2 days. Either be patient, grateful, or resourceful.

Thank you. I would have appreciated better, more specific replies from real-life experiencers. But thanks anyways.
What do you guys think would be the average grant offered (per semester) to a student whose family income is, like, $10,000?
Ok I know 7 people at different med schools in Texas. Some are dirt poor some are rich, all but one (who got a full ride) pays full tuition. Prepare to take out loans.

Reactions: 2 users
TTUHSC gives $15k/year merit-based scholarships to 20% of the class. I don’t know about other schools though!

TTUHSC gives $15k/year merit-based scholarships to 20% of the class. I don’t know about other schools though!

Thanks man. Appreciate the advice, but the thing is, I've seen Medical schools (e.g. Long School of Medicine) list a lot of scholarships available, so don't people acquire them?

Chances are, if a school offers need based aid then you would qualify for the largest need based aid they offer. That will be highly school specific and variable so an average is meaningless

Thank you.

All of the answers you need you have access to already. Look at MSAR and past school specific threads. Additionally, the applicant pool is large, few of them are Texas applicants, even fewer of them are TX applicants who have actually received scholarships, even fewer of them use SDN, and even fewer of them have used SDN in the last 2 days. Either be patient, grateful, or resourceful.

Yes, I understand all of that. But I came to SDN to get advice from other people, and I saw a lot of threads so was just a little bummed when people replied rather less-professionally and/or less-passionately to my post. Also, I am pretty sure there are tons of Texas med students here on SDN, so that is why the expectations were a little high, but I wasn't blaming anyone.

Ok I know 7 people at different med schools in Texas. Some are dirt poor some are rich, all but one (who got a full ride) pays full tuition. Prepare to take out loans.

So, are the ones which are comparatively 'poor' paying full tuition or were they offered grants and stuff? I appreciate your help, but If you can try to gain more info from them regarding grants offered, can you also tell me about it then? Like, vote on the poll I posted above so I can gather more info. Thank you so much, in advance!

No one gets grants in medical school, I'm assuming you mean like FAFSA here. Some people, usually URM or superstar applicants, have access to scholarships. Some schools do need based aid but it will vary from school to school what that means.

Pretty much everyone takes out federal loans up to COA. And there is no "negotiating."

Reactions: 1 users