Average hours of sleep per night for medical student during the first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am for 8, get 7 and I am a definite crammer of info. usually drop as low as 6 before exams, but there is little that is more precious than my sleep

Members don't see this ad.

Maximum of 6 hours.

How come that everyone in this forum have such plenty of time. :idea:

Just be careful if you decide to cut sleep for other reasons, you may find it hard to get back to your optimal number of hours. I slept only about 6 hours/night during most of 1st year (not because I was studying). Now it's hard for me to get more than 6 hours even if I want to stay in bed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have as much time for sleep as you want during 1st year.

This all sounds so amazing... oh, lord. As a first year teacher with Teach for America, right now I get less than 4 hours of sleep a night and work pretty much all day teaching, grading, lesson planning. I know medical school will be tough but it sounds a bit easier than what I'm doing right now.

Gotta get my Zs, man. 7-8 hrs per night, every night. It's a rule. And I take the hour before bedtime to wind down, or I can't fall asleep.

I studied less than some of my peers for my first anatomy exam, I slept more, and I did better than most of them. Honestly, I think it really helps. Even if you're not aware of it, getting less than 6 hrs per night does affect your concentration and memory capabilities. Well, for most people at least. I'm sure there are some freaks out there who can get a few hours with no prob. I used to do that all the time for my job, and I didn't think it affected me until I quit the job and adopted a better sleeping pattern.

About 7 hrs of sleep at night, maybe 30 min nap

Also 1.5 hrs of working out daily
1 hour madden 11

I study 5 hours a day if its worth while, but some days it makes little sense to study that much lol

slackers at ucsf neurosurgery who don't cut the cheese get thrown into the dumpster, whereas the overly ambitious hard working doctor in rural peds will be doing quite well, regardless.
I'm reading through this resurrected thread (and noting that NB was going for neurosurgery based on his later posts), and despite his proclaimed intelligence, I don't think he has any idea what that phrase means.

I'm reading through this resurrected thread (and noting that NB was going for neurosurgery based on his later posts), and despite his proclaimed intelligence, I don't think he has any idea what that phrase means.

LOL'd hard at that quote.

BRB not making it far in medicine because I don't cut the cheese

34ss8ow.jpg

Holy ****, that's a funny quote! I didn't know what it meant either. I looked it up on wikipedia about 30 seconds ago and I'm still laughing. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was wondering about on the average, how many hours do you (medical students) generally sleep per night when you were in your first year? Just curious.

this^

many lectures are not worth your time. esp if you aren't the lecture type. only go to ones that you think are worth more than studying on your own.

M1 material has alot of overlap with undergrad, if you took the right courses in undergrad and did well, you will have a much easier time in M1 than otherwise.

I never sleep more than 4 hours; this didn't change in medical school. Sleep is a highly individual characteristic and not particularly related to MS-1 studying/survival. My biggest lesson from first year of med school was that I could study well with two hours sleep. This came in handy during residency when I would study post call. Old thread.

I never sleep more than 4 hours; this didn't change in medical school. Sleep is a highly individual characteristic and not particularly related to MS-1 studying/survival. My biggest lesson from first year of med school was that I could study well with two hours sleep. This came in handy during residency when I would study post call. Old thread.

How do you possibly function??!

Do you drink coffee?

I doze off with 6 hrs of sleep during lecture

How do you possibly function??!

Do you drink coffee?

Y'all are sleep junkies. 6.5 is all I ever get (im MS2). I usually bump it up to 7-7.5 on weekends, but I just end up more tired then.

This gives me time to do all my work, and hang out with my SO, who does need sufficient attention, (unfortunately, even around exam times). I notice that if I wake up way before her, I get several hours of uninterrupted study, that's my motivation. It is soo dependent on the individual, bc she needs 2.5-4 more hours of sleep than me every night.

Do you drink coffee?

Espresso, and skipping lecture has improved my life 10 fold

Do you drink coffee?
I drink coffee like a fiend. But even during periods where I don't I still get 4-5 hours of sleep. I usually wake up without an alarm clock too, some people are just wired to run on less sleep.

lol. That's normal dude. A hit of crack couldn't keep me alert during lecture.

So far I'm getting way less sleep in MS2 than MS1. Whassapwitdat? I thought 1st year was pretty decent all around and was hoping second year would be similar. I may have been mistaken.

Stixman said:
Y'all are sleep junkies. 6.5 is all I ever get (im MS2). I usually bump it up to 7-7.5 on weekends, but I just end up more tired then.

This gives me time to do all my work, and hang out with my SO, who does need sufficient attention, (unfortunately, even around exam times). I notice that if I wake up way before her, I get several hours of uninterrupted study, that's my motivation. It is soo dependent on the individual, bc she needs 2.5-4 more hours of sleep than me every night.

Do you guys just get used to sleeping with less than 6 hrs (like wean yourself to less) or were you always perfectly functional with less than 6?

I feel like a turd if I sleep less than 6 hrs.

Thank god my wife is also a med student, she doesn't need attention ha.

Do you guys just get used to sleeping with less than 6 hrs (like wean yourself to less) or were you always perfectly functional with less than 6?
I've just been like this my whole adult life (no weaning necessary). I did sleep more as a teenager.

I sleep 10:30pm-6:30am regularly. If we don't have class till 10 or something I might sleep in until 7:30 but my chances of staying up a little later are higher then.

I've just been like this my whole adult life (no weaning necessary). I did sleep more as a teenager.

I'm the same way. I remember sleeping more in high school, but by the time I got to medical school I had discovered that 5-6 hours is all I need and I'm actually pretty tired if I get more.

Sleep as much as you need during the first two years (can't say anything about 3/4 years). If you treat school like a job and are efficient, I see no reason to not get the sleep you need (unless you require 16 hours of sleep or something ridiculous like that) :oops:

I drink coffee like a fiend. But even during periods where I don't I still get 4-5 hours of sleep. I usually wake up without an alarm clock too, some people are just wired to run on less sleep.

lol. That's normal dude. A hit of crack couldn't keep me alert during lecture.

:laugh: The mental image of that quote has kept me laughing for the past 5 minutes :lol:

You're an idiot.

You're an idiot.

not an idiot...not everybody NEEDS sleep. I'm adhd and I have gone 2 days without sleep due to a busy schedule while maintaining excellent grades--it CAN be done. Yes I LOOOVE sleep but it is not always a necessity.

not an idiot...not everybody NEEDS sleep. I'm adhd and I have gone 2 days without sleep due to a busy schedule while maintaining excellent grades--it CAN be done. Yes I LOOOVE sleep but it is not always a necessity.

No, that's absurd. Sleep is a biological necessity. I think the above post is the stupidest thing njbmd has posted, which is saying a lot.