1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Average hours of sleep per night for medical student during the first year?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by crieka, May 8, 2007.

1. crieka

crieka Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi, I was wondering about on the average, how many hours do you (medical students) generally sleep per night in your first year? Just curious.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JasonUD

JasonUD PGY-I
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In college I got 10 a night (Yeah, I know...I got made fun of a lot for that!!). Now I get 6 on most nights, more if I don't have an 8am class, a little less the week of an exam.

4. cremaster2007

cremaster2007 Birthday cake remix
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I averaged about 6 when going to class...........2nd year I slept like 12 cause I only went to mandatory class. On rotations it depends on the service but I averaged probably 6 or so..........

5. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

About 7-8 per night until 2 weeks before an exam, then about 6 hours per night. The last week before the exam 4-6 b/c we review till late and then head till anatomy lab until the wee hours of the morn.

Normally, I'm able to get 7-8, plus still lift weights or jog on the beach a couple mornings per week in addition to training MMA 3-4 times a week at night/saturday afternoon. I'm able to do all this though b/c I don't go to class. I only go to mandatory labs. I stream all the lectures at 2.0x. :thumbup:

6. HarveyCushing

7+ Year Member

Do you use winamp to listen to the lectures?

7. emeddo

emeddo OMS
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Buy Microsoft OneNote 2007 (yes, even if you don't have a tablet). You can then use a free player like audacity (google it) to speed up the lecture and resave it as an mp3 sped up. You can then print your lecture notes into onenote, drop the mp3 onto the page and as you are listening through and highlighting notes with your cursor it will sync the highlight with your mp3 lecture. Then when you are reviewing for a test and come across a concept you don't really understand, you click on the nearest highlighted portion and you instantly start listening at the point in the lecture that you made the highlight.

Check with your school, most school's have an academic agreement with Microsoft. Through our school it is only $20 for OneNote 2007.

8. Faraaz23

Faraaz23 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I find I sleep the same amount of hours that we have class for in a given day minus the amount of time someone is nudging me to wake up because the professor can hear me snoring.

9. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    6-7hrs first & second year
    4-5hrs 3rd-5th year

10. thejanitor99

thejanitor99 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am in bed no later than 10:00 each night and get 8.5+ hours of sleep every single night of the week for all of first year. I have a wife and a 10 month old little girl also so it can be done.

MS-1 DMU

11. JohnUC33

JohnUC33 A Stinkin Conservative
    7+ Year Member

At the beginning of the year, I was an idiot who went to lectures and thought I had to study 7-8hrs a day every day and only got about 5-6hrs. a night. So foolish! After doing that for like a month or so, I got smart and started getting my sleep (7-8hrs). Now that NBA playoffs are on though, i'm back to the 5-6hrs a night. I just wish the west coast games came on earlier...ahh!

12. FlightDoc80

FlightDoc80 Intern Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    I slept 8 hours for first and second years and 4th year. I slept less on General Surgery, IM, OBGYN when I was on those services due to long hours or a lot of call. Otherwise, slept 8 hours. First 2 years I studied from end of class till midnight, then woke up 15 min before class started. Did it for 2years. Sleep is really important. I may have slept in some lectures as well. Try not to do that...hehe.

13. DOCTORSAIB

DOCTORSAIB Ophtho or bust!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    8 hours every night years 1-2 thanks to skipping 100% of classes! (exluding night before exams, where I'd get one REM cycle in~1.5-2 hours...:eek:

4-6 hours/night during 3rd year, depending on the rotation.

Moral of the story: Skip class as much as possible years 1-2 and get your beauty rest b/c sleep deprivation is almost GAURANTEED during 3rd year..:)

14. gagolden

gagolden Call me the DOgg
    5+ Year Member

1st through 4th years: In bed by 9 up by 5 on school days no fail. During clinical years that might change a bit depending on rotation.

I find that I do better on tests and performed better on roations when I sleep vs. staying up to cram. I usually studied from 5:30 to 7:30 every morning when Im free from distraction and good TV shows. Quality study time is far more important than quantity of time spent.

15. JustPlainBill

JustPlainBill Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Interesting topic - at our school they tell you 'If you're getting more than 4 hours a night, you're doing it wrong'. But then the student support office send outs emails about how to improve your performance and the first thing at the top of the list is....get enough sleep and proceeds to tell us that 8 hours is an average that most adults need.

So, I wound up getting an average of 6 to 6.5 hours/night. Sometimes I would run on 4 or 5 the night before an exam. I did an old trick that an upperclassman taught me....I got a solid 9 hours 2 nights before an exam that way if I was too nervous the night before and got 4 or 5 I was still good to go. There is something to 'stockpiling sleep'.

Key word: Get some sleep.

16. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

No, I use windows media player to watch the videos.

17. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Couldn't agree more. Some people put in more hours of study time than I do, but half the time I see them drifting off, typing on AIM, etc. When I study, I buckle down hardcore and focus very intently. Believe it or not, since I have started training in MMA again, my grades have actually improved to my highest test score so far this year! Seems strange, that with adding another activity into my schedule that I would actually perform better on the exam. However, I use it to motivate myself. Classes(MMA) are usually around 8pm at night, so during the day I say to myself, "If I don't complete _______ in my studying before 8pm, then I can't go to train tonight." So far I have never skipped a training session so far, which means I've always completed my goal for the day.

18. Kirby13

Medical Student
    I get 8 hours a night. The only time I get less then that is if I'm too stressed and just CAN'T sleep. Otherwise, exam or no exam I get a good night's sleep. I'm also on board with those that don't attend lecture. Going to lecture became a social event for me, so I wasn't getting anything done. Now I stay home, listen to lectures online and get that quality studying in, someone else mentioned. Much more efficient.

19. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust
    10+ Year Member

agreed.

but class vs no class is based on personality. if you need to attend lecture and can filter out the sidebars and drama, i think lecture can be more beneficial.

as far as hours of sleep... 6 to 7 during the first 2 years. less if we partied.