AVERAGE INDEBTEDNESS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cm7b5

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After four years of medical school and undergraduate (not including d unsubsidized loan interest, repayment interest, etc) how much will you owe?

Members don't see this ad.

OOPS ---- INCLUDE UNDERGRAD LOANS!!

well, since I owe 55,000 from undergraduate and masters, I'll probably owe about 230,000 assuming that I don't get any scholarships or grants.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's sickening and then we all know what happens during residency :wink:

F#m7/D#m7b5 G#7/C#m7/B Bsus2 - if you click on the little pencil above your original post, you can edit out the *not* part about including undergrad stuff :)

Thanks JESSICA!

Good poll, but what is up with your screen name?

It's a chord progression. (Jazz)

C'MON LETS GET A LARGER SAMPLE SIZE!

It is kind of depressing to think about the level of debt and then interest accrual. I will be way in the hole.

Oops - didn't add undergrad either. Add one more to the over $120k or so range.

I am so shameless....bumping my own poll.....

looks like we have a nice bell curve thing going on with the poll results. Interesting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Shameless bump.....

WOW, a LOT of people have voted! I'm impressed! And the results are really interesting too. Keep on voting! :)

SO the median seems to be about 130K!

Here are the stats from the AAMC on medical student debt, they seem to be close to this poll:

Class of 2001 debt:
Mean all schools: 99,089
Median all schools: 97,000
Mean public schools: 86,630
Median public schools: 86,000
Mean private schools: 118,546
Median private schools: 120,000

Percent at 150K or higher
All schools: 15%
Public: 7%
Private: 35.5%

What is with all these people that aren't in debt?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cm7b5:
•What is with all these people that aren't in debt?•••••That's what I'd like to know, and how do I get a piece of THAT action?

Scholarships help. I've done undergrad (private school) and grad school with no debt. I got a full tuition scholarship to med school so *all* I have to cover is living expenses.

From undergrad, I went to UCLA, I owe about $10,000 and that's because I wanted to live really lavishly for the past four years. Whether I go to UCLA or UCSF, both schools have an average indebtness of $60,000. Not bad huh?

shameless bump

•••quote:•••Originally posted by cm7b5:
•What is with all these people that aren't in debt?•••••It's called having rich parents. I would say that on average, about 10% of medical students have their parents pay for EVERYTHING. It's like being a fully funded md/phd student almost.

Oh, I'd say it's much higher than 10%. What is it...like 70% of med students have at least one parent as a physician?

BRINGIN' BACK THE DEAD!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•Oh, I'd say it's much higher than 10%. What is it...like 70% of med students have at least one parent as a physician?•••••What?! Is that true?

is there a website that lists the average student debt for each medical school?

Half of the people have under 125K in debt.