Average MCAT at Duke is 36?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobcat

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at Duke recently and in the packet of info I received, I noticed that Duke reported that the average matriculant had an MCAT of 36. If I remember correctly, in the latest USNews rankings, their average was ~34.5. What's the deal? Are they trying to compete with WashU for highest MCAT scores?

Members don't see this ad.

36? Wow! thats alot of MCAT! I thought it was 34. In anycase Duke, WashU, Harvard, Hopkins, and Columbia accept the same bunch of 300 students. Each of these students matriculate at ONLY one school in the fall. The actual average MCAT for matriculants which is never published is significantly less than the accepted average. I got into Duke* and WashU with a 33.

*I am not lying. But then again, maybe I am.

Original,

I like the disclaimer. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Coalboy:
Thanks men :) I put it there cause I don't have the time and energy to defend the claim.

But maybe somebody new would like to argue with you about your Duke acceptance, Original. Are you going to take that chance away from them?

I've come to the conclusion that MCATs mean very little in this whole process...

Bobcat:

I went back to take a look at that handbook thing that lists the Duke 2001 class profile. Yes you are right! They have it in there that the average matriculating MCAT was 36 for the 2001 entering class; GPA was 3.75; and average age was 21.5. Wow! Impressive yet intimidating.

You are also right that the 2002 US News ranking says the average accepted MCAT there is about 34.5. It turns out that the 2002 US News stats were computed using the stats of the 2000 entering class. In the same vein, this year's US News ranking's (2003 ranking's)accepted MCAT data will be computed using stats of the 2001 entering class.

For somewhat justifiable reasons such as residency placement and the like, several people take rankings into consideration when deciding between schools. It turned out that Duke jumped in the rankings last year from 6th(?) to 3rd. As a result, less people (than usual) chose the Stanfords, Yales, Columbias, WashUs, and Penns over Duke. So Duke's waitlist barely moved. I think this might help explain the significant increase in matriculating MCAT scores.

The above hypothesis is probably seriously flawed, but I think there might also be some truth to it.

hi guys. I was one of the lucky ones who interviewed at Duke. My mcat is not even in the 36 endzone. But I think there are a lot of students with all sorts of mcats. Believe me: mcats do not govern the whole process. I have only interviewed at Duke (sort of fustrating) and it was in early Nov., but I have one at Penn state. I got a 7 on the verbal and 11 phy, 10 bio, with a S on the writing. good luck to you...

dukee

hey guys, so if i get >36 on mcat, but my gpa is nowhere near the 3.75 range, i have no chance based on academic credentials?

and if you do get an interview, do they make their decisions after that based solely on the interview/ec or they still count the gpa/mcat in their decision?

Dukee is right, the 36 average MCAT for our class represents a wide range...from below 30 to above 40. It's a diverse class and they realize that numbers don't necessarily correlate with aptitude for medicine. pj02007, averages are just that, averages. That means that people have numbers below 36/3.75 and still matriculate. If you can convince them that you have something special to offer the class, you'll be considered.