Ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sboardclark

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm a M4 thinking of orthopedics with interest in also anesthesiology. I'm a very average student:
Step 1: 236
Clerkship: high pass across the board

I've always thought I would want to become an orthopedic surgeon. However, I did an anesthesiology rotation a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Given my grades, I am concerned my door into orthopedic surgery is closed.
I have a decently well connected bench research that I can get a good amount of high quality publication if I do a research year in. I'll also be able to get connected into the field if I take a research year. My question is, do I still have a chance at orthopedic surgery even if I take a research year?

I’m still in med school so this isn’t expert advice, just want to say that my buddy matched to hopkins Ortho with a 232 and high pass/honors in his clerkships. So it can be done

I'm a M4 thinking of orthopedics with interest in also anesthesiology. I'm a very average student:

I've always thought I would want to become an orthopedic surgeon. However, I did an anesthesiology rotation a few months ago and really enjoyed it. Given my grades, I am concerned my door into orthopedic surgery is closed.
I have a decently well connected bench research that I can get a good amount of high quality publication if I do a research year in. I'll also be able to get connected into the field if I take a research year. My question is, do I still have a chance at orthopedic surgery even if I take a research year?
Yeah you have a chance to match... but you have to understand that there is a 20-25% you will go unmatched, even with a research year. Only you can determine if you are willing to take that risk. If you think you would be happy in anesthesia that is obviously a less risky move and will allow you to move on with your life vs taking research year, (possibly not matching), scramble/reapply, etc

I matched this year with a board score similar to yours. It can be done- but the rest of your app better be very strong (aka research and LORs) and you must be strategic with what programs you target/how you approach the application cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
Question that is somewhat relevant to the forum. I will be an OMS 1 this fall however I have done a lot of shadowing/working in the field and am still set on ortho. That being said, I am already terrified of match and was wondering if there are different routes to becoming a pediatric ortho. Like would I be able to match to peds and then fellowship in ortho? Also, are you able to match into gen surg and then move to ortho? Just curious about potential paths my future might take haha. Thanks in advance!

Question that is somewhat relevant to the forum. I will be an OMS 1 this fall however I have done a lot of shadowing/working in the field and am still set on ortho. That being said, I am already terrified of match and was wondering if there are different routes to becoming a pediatric ortho. Like would I be able to match to peds and then fellowship in ortho? Also, are you able to match into gen surg and then move to ortho? Just curious about potential paths my future might take haha. Thanks in advance!
unfortunately the only way to become an orthopaedic surgeon is to match into an orthopaedic surgery residency spot. Going into a peds residency spot you could do a sports med fellowship and see non-op sports patients, but you won't be operating. There is no way to become a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon through the traditional general surgery route.

Reactions: 1 users
unfortunately the only way to become an orthopaedic surgeon is to match into an orthopaedic surgery residency spot. Going into a peds residency spot you could do a sports med fellowship and see non-op sports patients, but you won't be operating. There is no way to become a pediatric orthopaedic surgeon through the traditional general surgery route.
Thank you so much for your insight! I am determined to do well in medical school however know ortho surg is competitive so I want to stay realistic as I am studying 😌

You still have a chance, work hard, make connections, apply broadly.