Average Score if you just guessed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcoool98

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. What would the average score of an MCAT if you were to randomly guess on each question?

Members don't see this ad.

Considering you completely guessed randomly and answered statistical %25 of your answers correct, you would get 20, 15, 20 right... corresponding to ~ 3, 2, 2... depending on the test... a big fat 7.... good luck with that

jcoool98 said:
Just wondering. What would the average score of an MCAT if you were to randomly guess on each question?

Tanner82 said:
Considering you completely guessed randomly and answered statistical %25 of your answers correct, you would get 20, 15, 20 right... corresponding to ~ 3, 2, 2... depending on the test... a big fat 7.... good luck with that

I randomly guessed on my one of my Kaplan FL because I had to do it in a proctored setting, and I was going to go back and do it a different day anyways, and I got a 17. I got an 8 in PS!

Members don't see this ad :)
passion4atcg said:
I randomly guessed on my one of my Kaplan FL because I had to do it in a proctored setting, and I was going to go back and do it a different day anyways, and I got a 17. I got an 8 in PS!

I randomly guessed on my Kaplan diagnostic and got a 5 in Bio and 6 in PS.

shnjb said:
An 8 in PS by guessing???

I believe it. Some of those Kaplan tests had PS sections where you could get 50% wrong and still get an 11.

cubbbie said:
I believe it. Some of those Kaplan tests had PS sections where you could get 50% wrong and still get an 11.
In TPR all tests had the same scales (except for the AAMC ones, of course). I think that's why I got lower scores on TPR tests...

jcoool98 said:

:luck: :luck: :luck: best of luck. :luck: :luck: :luck:

I tried this once during practice exams. I read somewhere that you're statistically more likely to get correct answers on a group of questions you don't know if you guess the same letter for all of them, so I guessed C for all the answers in the entire test (really I just counted up all of the Cs), and got 6s on all sections. Obviously not your ideal score, but if you HAVE to skip a section (which you shouldn't) guess the same letter on all questions!