Average Student Advice For Programs to Apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an average student, average grades, step 1 score. I live in TX, I'm not applying to any top tier schools, only middle or lower tier residency programs. Unfortunately there isn't any place to find a listing of this. So I need suggestions of some "middle or lower tier" programs to apply to in TX and out of TX. Location isn't really an issue for me. Any suggestions of programs would be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
in texas, places like baylor dallas, SCott/White, UTH, UTSA, and UTMB, methodist houston are probably mid tier programs by reputation that I'm aware of. I don't know much about the UTMB program in Austin or the state of the UTMB Galveston program. I don't know if you're keen on moving to WEst Texas but Lubbock has a program. There are also a bunch of community type programs like Presbyterian and Methodist in Dallas if you don't mind being in a non-academic center.

don't know too much about mid-tier programs out of state, just the ivory towers.

I'm an average student, average grades, step 1 score. I live in TX, I'm not applying to any top tier schools, only middle or lower tier residency programs. Unfortunately there isn't any place to find a listing of this. So I need suggestions of some "middle or lower tier" programs to apply to in TX and out of TX. Location isn't really an issue for me. Any suggestions of programs would be helpful. Thanks.

You should get interviews at most Texas schools, and being form texas Baylor and SWern might interview you anyway, so make sure you send them an app. My favorite mid tier program in Texas was A&M . . . if you don't mind living in Temple

As I mentioned in the other thread some of the programs I think you should check out if you're looking more middle tier in the middle of the country as UofKansas, UofUtah, UofMinnesota, UofIowa (arguably more "high" tier), and Creighton