1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

?average time to buy a plane ticket for interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pocwana, May 28, 2002.

1. pocwana

pocwana MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    all these airlines have a 7-day or 14-day advance ticket purchase policy to get the cheaper tickets.

i was just wondering how far in advance you usually get with med schools between knowing you're going for an interview and the interview?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i usually got about 3 weeks.

4. Cdc28p

Cdc28p Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

3-5 weeks.

5. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I only interviewed during September through November. I was notified about 2-3 weeks in advance. Some schools would allow me to delay the interview, but out of 5 interviews, 4 were rolling, so I tried to do them as quickly as possible.

6. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

I like when schools notify you by e-mail and snail mail.

I got an invite for an interview 6 days before I was suppose to be there. It was postmarked 1 week before the date I received it.

AK

touchpause13 likes this.
  7. pocwana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
    <strong>I like when schools notify you by e-mail and snail mail.

I got an invite for an interview 6 days before I was suppose to be there. It was postmarked 1 week before the date I received it.

AK</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">did you also get an e-mail from that school?

8. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    One of my interview invitations was a "call for interview date". The first available date was less than 7 days away (a cancellation) and the second available date was more than a month away. Since it was already January, and my top-choice school, I opted take the next available interview date. Ended up paying over $700 for that flight (which is not all that terrible as it was from Alaska - normal price would have been around $450). I got in, so I'm glad I spent the extra bucks for the early interview. No telling what might have happened if I'd delayed the interview until March.

9. pocwana

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    congrats mpp.
    what school was that?

10. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pocwana:
    <strong>congrats mpp.
    what school was that?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. It was Mayo.