?average time to buy a plane ticket for interview?

pocwana

MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 11, 2002
L.A.
www-scf.usc.edu
Status
Medical Student
all these airlines have a 7-day or 14-day advance ticket purchase policy to get the cheaper tickets.

i was just wondering how far in advance you usually get with med schools between knowing you're going for an interview and the interview?

oldman

Senior Citizen
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Hospital
Status
Attending Physician
i usually got about 3 weeks.

Dr. Kermit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2001
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Status
I only interviewed during September through November. I was notified about 2-3 weeks in advance. Some schools would allow me to delay the interview, but out of 5 interviews, 4 were rolling, so I tried to do them as quickly as possible.

Doc AdamK in 2006

Now 2 year UB Med Doc
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2002
Defintely Buffalo
Visit site
Status
I like when schools notify you by e-mail and snail mail.

I got an invite for an interview 6 days before I was suppose to be there. It was postmarked 1 week before the date I received it.

AK

Reactions: touchpause13

pocwana

MD/MBA candidate c/o 2008
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 11, 2002
L.A.
www-scf.usc.edu
Status
Medical Student
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
<strong>I like when schools notify you by e-mail and snail mail.

I got an invite for an interview 6 days before I was suppose to be there. It was postmarked 1 week before the date I received it.

AK</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">did you also get an e-mail from that school?

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One of my interview invitations was a "call for interview date". The first available date was less than 7 days away (a cancellation) and the second available date was more than a month away. Since it was already January, and my top-choice school, I opted take the next available interview date. Ended up paying over $700 for that flight (which is not all that terrible as it was from Alaska - normal price would have been around $450). I got in, so I'm glad I spent the extra bucks for the early interview. No telling what might have happened if I'd delayed the interview until March.

mpp

SDN Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by pocwana:
<strong>congrats mpp.
what school was that?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks. It was Mayo.