Average to Below Average MCATs and Acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSumday

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I please hear some stories about people who have gotten into medical schools with below a 33? Preferably below a 30? If a 30 is the average score of a medical school acceptance, then that means about half of the people that get accepted were below a 30, but I never hear those stories. Sorry, but constantly hearing people complain about perfectly decent MCAT scores are bumming me out. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Can I please hear some stories about people who have gotten into medical schools with below a 33? Preferably below a 30? If a 30 is the average score of a medical school acceptance, then that means about half of the people that get accepted were below a 30, but I never hear those stories. Sorry, but constantly hearing people complain about perfectly decent MCAT scores are bumming me out. :oops:

Many many people who get accepted to state schools have below 30 mcat scores. Again, the inflated scores you see on SDN are as far away from the real deal as it can get.
Now I'd love to hear about those accepted who had below 25 (not talking about DO schools). Let's hear those stories.

Here's a story: If you're black you can score lower. Everyone can get mad but it's true.

In other words shoot to be above average on scores if you want to be competitive. If you look at Harvard accpetances, there's mainly 39, 39, 40, 42 on the mcat scores. Then there's a black female who is accepted with a 27. So you see that Harvard's "average" is usually about 34 MCAT. But that's because they have a 19% under represented minority admission. In other words, averages appear lower cause blacks and mexicans are allowed in with lower averages. So unless you're black or mexican, try to score above average

Here is one:
A guy got in off of the waitlist just weeks before the class started in August with a 22. It was to a state MD school. So, good luck!

OH, and he was a white male.

Members don't see this ad :)
29 MCAT here. I have 1 acceptance and 7 interviews so far (still waiting on most). All MD schools.

I am white too ;)

I am amazed that people think you cannot get into medical school unless you have an MCAT score of 30 or better. Fortunately, there are many people who get in with mid 20's. I often find it quite disturbing that the MCAT is looked upon so strongly. I truly hope that one day someone develops a better way to evaluate medical school applicants that can predict who will become a good physician and not so much who is good at taking standardized testing and memorizing needless amounts of bulls#$t information.
So, I guess to answer your question...there are alot of poeple who get in medical school with scores on their MCAT lower than 30.

Can I please hear some stories about people who have gotten into medical schools with below a 33?

Considering the average to allo schools is a 30, likely most (the majority of) people who have gotten into med school had below a 33. I don't think you want that many thousand stories. :rolleyes:

I'd like to know about ppl in their low 20s getting in. I know it's rare....but there's got to be ppl out there who excel at other things but the MCAT and that's why get in!:D

29 MCAT here. I have 1 acceptance and 7 interviews so far (still waiting on most). All MD schools.

I am white too ;)

and you're white :eek: OMGWTFBBQ!!! I applaud you, friend, for rising above your pigment deficiencies ;)

I'd like to know about ppl in their low 20s getting in. I know it's rare....but there's got to be ppl out there who excel at other things but the MCAT and that's why get in!:D

Not with the Osteo schools if you are talking like a 23 or up. Below that it is a struggle to get in even at the osteo schools. What do I base my opinion on? mdapplicants.com, but I try and subtract a point or two off of what you see there, since mdapplicants is not reflective of applicants (more gunner types on there).