Average Usmle - IMG worried about my prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leafsdoc88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've tried to find some useful threads about my situation but I wanted some advise targeted to myself. I scored a 222 on step 1 (average 224 on my exam last year) and I am currently studying for step 2. I've been working hard in my cores to put myself in a better position to do well on Step 2 and will correct a lot of the mistake I made studying for step 1. I'm just concerned about what I've heard from people regarding interviews lately and was hoping to at least hear either positive reassurance or realistic answers as to what my prospects are for matching in Family or Internal. I'm a carribean student with no current research (hopefully this year I'll be doing some) and some good volunteering with extracarriculars. Assuming I score decently on step 2 (at least average which is now 238) what do my chances look like. I appreciate all you advice.

Members don't see this ad.

The difficulties of matching from a Caribbean school have been discussed in such great extent on this website that no one wants to touch it anymore. Sorry OP, it's going to be difficult, but not impossible I'd imagine. Talk to alumni from your school who have matched in those fields, they can give you much more tangible advice. What were their scores? Are you a US citizen? Have you rotated in the US? Which programs are more IMG friendly?

Members don't see this ad :)
too much doom and gloom

you aren't going to match glamorously, but there are plenty of IMG friendly places that you got a good chance of matching into.

Reactions: 3 users
too much doom and gloom

you aren't going to match glamorously, but there are plenty of IMG friendly places that you got a good chance of matching into.

I agree, you can definitely find a residency in IM or FM with those numbers as long as you aren't choosy about where you want to go.

Reactions: 2 users
...so the OP should listen to the pre-med advising to not apply to more IMG-friendly residencies instead? :rolleyes:
Fact that you are medical student doesn't make you know better than a pre-med. Besides us pre-meds know everything about medical school and looming residency crunch.

Like others have said, I think you should be able to match into IM/FM community programs if apply broadly and you don't have red flags... Your step1 score is not that bad IMO, but the caribbean part will certainly make it difficult for you to match at good programs.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I've tried to find some useful threads about my situation but I wanted some advise targeted to myself. I scored a 222 on step 1 (average 224 on my exam last year) and I am currently studying for step 2. I've been working hard in my cores to put myself in a better position to do well on Step 2 and will correct a lot of the mistake I made studying for step 1. I'm just concerned about what I've heard from people regarding interviews lately and was hoping to at least hear either positive reassurance or realistic answers as to what my prospects are for matching in Family or Internal. I'm a carribean student with no current research (hopefully this year I'll be doing some) and some good volunteering with extracarriculars. Assuming I score decently on step 2 (at least average which is now 238) what do my chances look like. I appreciate all you advice.
So you post a question and don't follow up with feedback? Oh I see

Fact that you are medical student doesn't make you know better than a pre-med. Besides us pre-meds know everything about medical school and looming residency crunch.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Change your avatar bc you're definitely not Einstein.