avg mcats at DO schools 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg.... look at West Virginia and Pikesville College... thier average is 21-ish, I didn't even think anything lower 22 is considered

I was surprised as well. I figured most schools avgs would be 24+. With the lowest at 23. Guess I was wrong. Does this data match the AACOMAS data?

Members don't see this ad :)
WOW! I had no idea that any DO school had an average of less than 24. That is really low. So that means (roughly, of course) half the class may have gotten under 21 at WV and Pikesville. That's scary because any score that low really doesn't show a strong understanding of the MCAT material. No wonder some pre-meds don't want to apply DO. What does that say about the differences in student quality if their average MCAT is 10 pts lower than the average MD school?

At DMU our average is almost 27 with a range from last year of 20 to 39.

WOW! I had no idea that any DO school had an average of less than 24. That is really low. So that means (roughly, of course) half the class may have gotten under 21 at WV and Pikesville. That's scary because any score that low really doesn't show a strong understanding of the MCAT material. No wonder some pre-meds don't want to apply DO. What does that say about the differences in student quality if their average MCAT is 10 pts lower than the average MD school?

You should know that it's not the MCAT that makes a great doctor. There are many studies out there that associate lower MCAT with more compassionate Doc's. How many times have you ever asked any physician what he/she got on their MCAT. It is just another exam to help a company make some money and try and set up some prestige among applicants. I personally would want a DOC that cares more about me then what school and MCAT score they got.

You should know that it's not the MCAT that makes a great doctor. There are many studies out there that associate lower MCAT with more compassionate Doc's. How many times have you ever asked any physician what he/she got on their MCAT. It is just another exam to help a company make some money and try and set up some prestige among applicants. I personally would want a DOC that cares more about me then what school and MCAT score they got.
Citation?

The huge number of non-trads that some DO schools take will have a big impact on MCAT scores. A student who goes straight through college, not having to work much (or at all), with that specific goal in mind, is probably going to have a pretty easy time with the MCAT.

On the other hand, someone with a journalism degree or something, who comes back to school to be a doctor, only takes the pre-requisites, and then takes the MCAT, is probably not going to do so well. The trick is separating the ones who are capable of doing the medical coursework from the ones who might not be.

21 seems awfully low, but at the same time, that is all we know from that website. Hell, UT-Southwestern has admitted people with a 20 before, and they are as good (and snobby) as medical schools get.

Another thing to consider is that the Pikevilles and WVSOMs of the world have a big geographical bias. They will take people from their own region over statistically superior applicants from other areas.

I mean.... Im pretty sure West Virginia and Pikesville push out great quality physicians just like any other DO program in the country,

maybe this goes to show how the MCAT score has no relation as to how well a student performs in med school? Or maybe those stats a little faulty ?

So does that mean that just anyone off the street that isn't capable of grasping physics, chem, organic chem, and bio would make a better doc than someone that actually understood the material - just because they were compassionate? Compassion is important but it is not the sole purpose of a doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
those averages are completely inaccurate. Look them up yourselves on the schools' websites.

Hmmm, false data on SDN? Who woulda thunk it? ;)

I think I will go check those out on individual websites....

Can you provide a reference for these "many studies"?

The huge number of non-trads that some DO schools take will have a big impact on MCAT scores. A student who goes straight through college, not having to work much (or at all), with that specific goal in mind, is probably going to have a pretty easy time with the MCAT.

On the other hand, someone with a journalism degree or something, who comes back to school to be a doctor, only takes the pre-requisites, and then takes the MCAT, is probably not going to do so well. The trick is separating the ones who are capable of doing the medical coursework from the ones who might not be.

21 seems awfully low, but at the same time, that is all we know from that website. Hell, UT-Southwestern has admitted people with a 20 before, and they are as good (and snobby) as medical schools get.

Another thing to consider is that the Pikevilles and WVSOMs of the world have a big geographical bias. They will take people from their own region over statistically superior applicants from other areas.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses to make up for crappy scores to me.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses to make up for crappy scores to me.
Call it what you want, but can you deny that its the truth?

EDIT: as a non-trad who did not get a crappy MCAT score, I can see how it would have been easy to do so.

I don't think those MCAT numbers are correct for matriculating D.O. students at the various schools, but only the average MCAT values for the applicants.

For example, for Nova in Fall 2006 (and this data is on their website under Admissions Stats for 2006):

the average MCAT score for applicants was 23.40
the average score for students who entered the class of 2010 was 25.65

Therefore, I am not surprised Pikeville's value was around 21... but I'd strongly believe the matriculating value is higher.

it is starting to get annoying when people care so much about MCAT score and fail to recognize that these people who got in with 19,20, 21 have other things going for them. Schools want matriculated students to graduate so I do not see the reason why they would accept somebody who is so "dumb" that he has no chance to be a good doctor. btw, low MCAT score does not necesarily means the individual does not grasp physics/biology, etc (as somebody was implying), it could simply mean the examinee was having a bad day. Let me remind everyone that MCAT score is just one of many criteria admissions use to evaluate an applicant.

There's a couple of other things to consider. While that information was accessed in 2006, I don't believe the data has been updated in many years. If you look at the deadline for admissions listed for Pikeville, it seems to indicate that the data was entered in 2004. In DMUs case, it looks like it may not have been changed since 2000. I haven't really looked at the others. MCAT scores have risen quite a bit since then. The MCAT scores of applicants in 2000 tells me nothing today.

Yes, this is exactly the same numbers on the same website I found when I started the pre-med route in Feb 2006 and I think the numbers were a couple of years old then.

Yes, this is exactly the same numbers on the same website I found when I started the pre-med route in Feb 2006 and I think the numbers were a couple of years old then.

Yes, it was posted here in 2006.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4148352&postcount=2

And here it was posted in 2004.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=1115046&postcount=3

And reading the original source shows that at least some of the data is quite a few years older than that. So, it just shows that you have to look at your sources carefully before you jump to any conclusions. It also validates the notion that everything you hear on SDN isn't necessarily true. There is some wonderful advice....but not all of it is.

Do DO's have to take the MCAT?

Nope. If you think you will do well, go ahead and take it (won't help or hurt you). If you think you will do bad i.e. below 10 (total), then don't take it.

I am not sure how well the MCAT does demonstrate your ability to understand the sciences. For example, I took a baseline MCAT prior to any studying and scored an 18. Two months later, I scored a 26. I was not learning anything new during that time, just refreshing my memory from previous courses. So just because I scored an 18 does not mean that I did not have a thorough understanding of the sciences, to me it just means that I forgot the details (equations etc.) and lacked knowledge of the actual test (time management, verbal prep., passage maps etc.) to do well. I am not sure this makes any sense but it is just a thought.

I am not sure how well the MCAT does demonstrate your ability to understand the sciences. For example, I took a baseline MCAT prior to any studying and scored an 18. Two months later, I scored a 26. I was not learning anything new during that time, just refreshing my memory from previous courses. So just because I scored an 18 does not mean that I did not have a thorough understanding of the sciences, to me it just means that I forgot the details (equations etc.) and lacked knowledge of the actual test (time management, verbal prep., passage maps etc.) to do well. I am not sure this makes any sense but it is just a thought.

True but the thought processes of the makers of the test have in mind that there is a correlation between MCAT and boards. Whether I or anybody else on SDN agrees with there being a correlation or not is a whole other issue.

This data is like a million years old...:laugh:, stop putting up inaccurate information, specially saying 2006....someone posted this list with the exact same numbers two years ago here on SDN...I can just look at a few of those schools and those are not their averages..DMU has average of around 27 now, Nova has an avg. closer to 26 (not 23)..etc...I can only imagine those schools at 21 are probably now around 24-25....:thumbdown:...a mod should take this down or at least change the title to something a long the lines of "DO school averages in 1896"...If were going to have discussions, agreements, disagreements here on SDN, we should at least be talking about factual information...

This thread is full of lulz and fail.

Only on SDN can you have a thread where DO/pre-DO students get so fired up about school ranking based on MCAT scores, what the scores mean, and if the scores are too old or not...

Can we move this thread to pre-allo? It really belongs there with the rest of the lulz threads.

UGHHHH .... We have all been sucked in by a troll, or bored pre-med getting his jollies online. These scores are: a. Old as hell, b. Represent APPLICANT numbers, not matriculation numbers (huge difference obviously ... I can apply to med schools with a freaking 12 if I wanted to, would I get in anywhere ... NO) c. Have been proven wrong by just about every person on this thread who has done 2.2 seconds of online research d. The troll has been fed, he can now move on and begin his dessert thread 'I personally love DO philosophy, but my friend thinks they are sub-par humans because of lower gpa and mcat averages ... waddfxup??'

UGHHHH .... We have all been sucked in by a troll, or bored pre-med getting his jollies online. These scores are: a. Old as hell, b. Represent APPLICANT numbers, not matriculation numbers (huge difference obviously ... I can apply to med schools with a freaking 12 if I wanted to, would I get in anywhere ... NO) c. Have been proven wrong by just about every person on this thread who has done 2.2 seconds of online research d. The troll has been fed, he can now move on and begin his dessert thread 'I personally love DO philosophy, but my friend thinks they are sub-par humans because of lower gpa and mcat averages ... waddfxup??'

LOL :thumbup:

I know, has no one else taken a look at the OP? - got you all hook, line, sinker! :thumbdown:
No more squabbling over inconsequential scraps!

troll.jpg

I know, has no one else taken a look at the OP? - got you all hook, line, sinker! :thumbdown:
No more squabbling over inconsequential scraps!

troll.jpg

hey... Someone emailed this to me, and i thought it was fitting to put on a Pre osteopathic forum.

Not sure how "the OP? - got you all hook, line, sinker! :thumbdown:"

for what it's worth, I'm an second year DO student. (and if it mattered at all - I scored pretty well on the mcat) and I assumed the information on the site was good as far as the 2006 date on the site, and since it was posted from KCOM

it says

"(accessed 3/13/06) Revised 3/13/06" on the site

not trying to start a big ruckus. definitely not "trolling" omg

hey... Someone emailed this to me, and i thought it was fitting to put on a Pre osteopathic forum.

Not sure how "the OP? - got you all hook, line, sinker! :thumbdown:"

for what it's worth, I'm an second year DO student. and I assumed the information on the site was good as far as the 2006 date on the site, and since it was posted from KCOM

it says

"(accessed 3/13/06) Revised 3/13/06" on the site

not trying to start a big ruckus

No worries then but this is OLD news for those of us here - and it's not all that accurate as we've already discussed in other threads. Just FYI...but thanks for trying to be of assistance. I think it's understandable that based on your limited number of posts that it was assumed you were trolling. Lots of trolls as of late. All clear now...at least for the moment.

No worries then but this is OLD news for those of us here - and it's not all that accurate as we've already discussed in other threads. Just FYI...but thanks for trying to be of assistance. I think it's understanadable that based on your limited number of posts that it was assumed you were trolling. All clear now...at least for the moment.

Goodness, one last suggestion then. Maybe someone at KCOM/AT Stills should do something about taking down these numbers or at least changing them.

Goodness, one last suggestion then. Maybe someone at KCOM/AT Stills should do something about taking down these numbers or at least changing them.

I'm just glad you are finally in the loop with regard to the benefits of SDN. If I may, it's about time! :D Be forewarned - plenty of trolls and personal agendas tend to call the premed forums home, unfortunately. We HAVE to be on our guard in order to weed out misinformation and generally selfish agendas for the common good.

I still find those scores pretty low...I have a non science degree and am back for pre-reqs. My first try for the aamc practice exam using all guidelines with breaks...in a loud panera after not having much of the material and I still got a 24...I know its not much to judge off of but still...seems low if you invest even a little time in prepping for the mcat.

"Is there a "Future Abortion Provider" T-shirt?" If not, why not? Good rule of thumb: Never work at a job which you would not proclaim on a T-shirt."
-Panda Bear
Toohotinvegas33

I'm sorry, but does this statement bother anybody else besides me? I realize it's supposed to be funny but I see it as anti-abortion propaganda.

I've actually interviewed at Pikeville and it appears to be a great school. The students I met were all very nice. They make a point to say they don't see the MCAT as a big deciding factor in their admissions process. They are looking to serve the underserved areas of KY and Appalachia.

Is their curriculum easier because their MCATs are lower? Absolutely not! The Patho teacher (Dr. Fitzovich) taught at 3 allopathic schools before coming to Pikeville. (I should also mention he PREFERs DOs now)

Any medical school will have a tough curriculum. Like it has been said a million times, the MCAT doesn't determine how smart you are. If you're like me... you just had a bad day and bombed it when you were used to getting a lot better scores on the practice exams.

Every physician will have to pass boards. If you can pass boards, you can be a doctor. I'm tired of people saying, "I don't want someone who got a 20 on their MCAT working on me." Instead, it should be, "I don't want someone who didn't pass their boards working on me." Thank God that's the way it is, huh?

"Is there a "Future Abortion Provider" T-shirt?" If not, why not? Good rule of thumb: Never work at a job which you would not proclaim on a T-shirt."
-Panda Bear
Toohotinvegas33

I'm sorry, but does this statement bother anybody else besides me? I realize it's supposed to be funny but I see it as anti-abortion propaganda.

So? Maybe it is. Some people (like me) are against abortion. Nothing in the SDN by-laws says you have to be pro-abortion.

So? Maybe it is. Some people (like me) are against abortion. Nothing in the SDN by-laws says you have to be pro-abortion.

As uncool as it is, I'm against abortion also Meg. But I'm still confused as to how abortion has to do with DMU MCAT scores. Could someone enlighten me here?

As uncool as it is, I'm against abortion also Meg. But I'm still confused as to how abortion has to do with DMU MCAT scores. Could someone enlighten me here?

It has nothing to do with them. This is the 2nd time this guy has made an issue of toohot's sig. in an inappropriate forum.

(Take a hint gmard!!!!!!)

It has nothing to do with them. This is the 2nd time this guy has made an issue of toohot's sig. in an inappropriate forum.

(Take a hint gmard!!!!!!)

First of all, I'm not a guy.

Secondly, I believe a physician should leave controversial opinions to him/herself. What if you had a patient who would truly benefit from having an abortion? Would you advise against it because of what you deem right and wrong?

I just thought his signature is inappropriate and offensive to those people who do perfrom abortions. Sorry it's under the wrong thread lady.