Avoiding arrogance in PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ImNotBritish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all-
I'm in the process of compiling all of the feedback I got on my PS. I had 8 people look it over. One reader was concerned that I would come off as arrogant in one paragraph of my PS. No one else commented on that, though. I kind of like that passage, and the idea that it conveys, but should I blackball it if I might look arrogant to 1/8 of my readers?

(By the way - Thank you to all of my readers, I owe you all for some great comments.)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't post it...

I just reread your essay and I don't think it comes off as arrogant at all. Confident but not arrogant. I don't think that in a personal statement you should come off as wavering about your decision or you accomplishments.

Members don't see this ad :)
See if you can reword it to sound a bit more modest. It is good to be assertive, as you are basically selling yourself, but it's a fine line.

If it's the matter of the tone - re-word it.

If it's because you list a lot of your accomplishments that are impressive - then that is confident, not arrogant. Do not sell yourself short on your PS - you want adcoms to think of you as a high-achieving individual.

While I probably shouldn't post chunks of the PS on here, the long and the short of that paragraph was that I once asked some questions at the dr's office and she said I should be applying to med school if I was asking "questions like that" during undergrad. Without knowing the full wording, anyone have any thoughts on the arrogance factor?

I did some rewording, and now I'm hopefully on the right side of the fine line between sounding like the perfect applicant and sounding like you know you're the perfect applicant. Thanks for any input!

whats so arrogant about it? if you're especially worried about it coming off as arrogant, it probably is.
being humble in a sense never hurt anyone.

dont be a sissy. say what you want, be assertive. doctors are very assertive people and don't back down. like me im an assertive person. hell my friends call me ALPHABET because im the ALPHA male and u can BET on it.