Awarded HPSP - now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsomeday1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been awarded HPSP Army, been commissioned, and will be starting school late August. My recruiter is going crazy with work right now (just because it's that time, so I completely understand) so he hasn't been able to help me with some questions. Any help would be great.

1) Can my wife pay a premium each month to be covered under Army Insurance?

2) How should I pay for my books and instruments and when should I get them? Does Army buy or reimburse you?

3) How should I pay the $3000 advance tuition due to save my seat before I start? Can they cut a check, or do they just reimburse you later, or not at all. If yes, then when (I've already started paying these)?

4) When can you expect the $20,000 sign on bonus? I'm trying to plan students loans, etc. and that will be a factor. I know they come in the two 9,000 and then 2,000 installments, but what is the timing?

I'm sure that after my recruiter gives me my Army login info I can get on and figure all this out, but it's been a while and he's still super busy. I need to start planning this stuff out now. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I can answer some for you. I have been researching it for a while. There should be a handbook out there. Google for it.

You should buy your books yourself, unless it is something you buy from the school and they can out it on the tuition bill. you will get reimbursed.

As for the advanced tuition fee, you should get that back from your school. Basically, tell your school to put that part of the fee on the bill (most of the time, it should be anyways) and the army will that amount plus whatever tuition you will have to the university which will create a more money than you needed to pay and they will give it back to you.

here is the navy's handbook. I think it should be the same for all the branches.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...PTEINST 1520 1C STUDENT PROGRAM HANDBOOK5.pdf

good luck! let me know how you got the award since I am thinking about applying for it too...

So I've been awarded HPSP Army, been commissioned, and will be starting school late August. My recruiter is going crazy with work right now (just because it's that time, so I completely understand) so he hasn't been able to help me with some questions. Any help would be great.

2) How should I pay for my books and instruments and when should I get them? Does Army buy or reimburse you?

3) How should I pay the $3000 advance tuition due to save my seat before I start? Can they cut a check, or do they just reimburse you later, or not at all. If yes, then when (I've already started paying these)?

4) When can you expect the $20,000 sign on bonus? I'm trying to plan students loans, etc. and that will be a factor. I know they come in the two 9,000 and then 2,000 installments, but what is the timing?

I'm sure that after my recruiter gives me my Army login info I can get on and figure all this out, but it's been a while and he's still super busy. I need to start planning this stuff out now. Thank you in advance.

1) no. army would cover only the basic health insurance for you during school.
2) it depends on the program. most likely you buy the stuff on your own, then submit a cost-data worksheet, signed by the dean, and send it to texas. they'll reimburse it along w/ stipend.
3) same as #2. if you're talking about the seat deposit, you pay on your own, and get reimbursed later via CDW once classes start.
4) you get that 20k after your first stipend (in september). they say it'd take up to 30 days after your first stipend, but normally much quicker than that. you'll get that 3 installment w/n a week or so. note, they will withhold about 35% of it for taxes, so you won't get the whole thing until you file your income tax return in the following year.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!

One of the first things you need to do is to go to the Army's Medical Educatioin website www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation and request a logon ID. Once you receive the ID, go back to the website and create a password. Once you are able to logon to the website, there is a menu tab entitled "Pre-Enrollment". Once you have pre-enrolled, you will have access to the Policy Handbook, the FAQs, and the discussion forums at the website where most if not all of your questions will be answered. It is also the portal for you to be able to see when your benefits start and stop.

I can answer some for you. I have been researching it for a while. There should be a handbook out there. Google for it.

You should buy your books yourself, unless it is something you buy from the school and they can out it on the tuition bill. you will get reimbursed.

As for the advanced tuition fee, you should get that back from your school. Basically, tell your school to put that part of the fee on the bill (most of the time, it should be anyways) and the army will that amount plus whatever tuition you will have to the university which will create a more money than you needed to pay and they will give it back to you.

here is the navy's handbook. I think it should be the same for all the branches.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...PTEINST 1520 1C STUDENT PROGRAM HANDBOOK5.pdf

good luck! let me know how you got the award since I am thinking about applying for it too...

Is there handbook for ARMY??? coudnt find one.

Congratulations!

One of the first things you need to do is to go to the Army's Medical Educatioin website www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation and request a logon ID. Once you receive the ID, go back to the website and create a password. Once you are able to logon to the website, there is a menu tab entitled "Pre-Enrollment". Once you have pre-enrolled, you will have access to the Policy Handbook, the FAQs, and the discussion forums at the website where most if not all of your questions will be answered. It is also the portal for you to be able to see when your benefits start and stop.

You'll need an AKO account first (Army email), so that they can send you the info for your MODS login. Keep on your recruiter to help you out with that.

To correct an above post, the $3000 "seat deposit" is not covered via a CDW. When the army pays your tuition, they pay it in full, including that 3K you paid as a seat deposit as that goes toward your tuition. Therefore you will have a $3K credit in your school account and the school will cut you a check for that amount. Also, the army will only pay your health insurance if your school requires you to have health insurance.

To correct an above post, the $3000 "seat deposit" is not covered via a CDW. When the army pays your tuition, they pay it in full, including that 3K you paid as a seat deposit as that goes toward your tuition. Therefore you will have a $3K credit in your school account and the school will cut you a check for that amount. Also, the army will only pay your health insurance if your school requires you to have health insurance.

The only issue you will discover is that you wont get exactly 3k back in one lump sum. The reason for this is that you will be charged for the Fall equipment issue and parking permit if you purchase one. The refund you are supposed to get will be used to pay for this. Therefore, you need to get your equipment reimbursed before you can see your $3,000 again. I believe the first year issue was around 3-4k . When you get your equipment reimbursement back, that will be money from your original 3k seat saver. Confusing but that's what you can expect.

The only issue you will discover is that you wont get exactly 3k back in one lump sum. The reason for this is that you will be charged for the Fall equipment issue and parking permit if you purchase one. The refund you are supposed to get will be used to pay for this. Therefore, you need to get your equipment reimbursed before you can see your $3,000 again. I believe the first year issue was around 3-4k . When you get your equipment reimbursement back, that will be money from your original 3k seat saver. Confusing but that's what you can expect.

Let us not forget the ASDA membership fee

The ASDA fee and all ancillary fees excluding equipment/supplies was included in my main tuition bill. Everything was covered except 150/semester for 'transportation fees'.

It took a while initially, but all my supplies were covered that I submitted for. I also have been having to buy some more supplies later on this year (ie. in the spring) and I have submitted for them with a new CDW and that money has come through as well. Additionally, I just got reimbursed for my part 1 board fees.

So far the only thing I have paid for this year is transportation fee, our typodont tooth bill, and some burs I bought directly from brasseler.

USC specifically, nickle and dimes you $10 here $50 there depending on the type of fees (i.e. orientation fee) is not covered under HPSP. The equipment issue is billed separately at USC therefore it will not be paid for initially in the Army's one lump sum payment to USC. Therefore you have to submit the reimbursement for the issue. It varies between schools but that's how it works at USC.