jlee1986

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2007
Status
Dental Student
i know that aadsas has a limit of 5 for this section, but what if you were on the dean's list for 6 semesters? should i put it down as only one? if i fill out 5, which semesters should i put down? thanks for your help :)

J

joh020340

i know that aadsas has a limit of 5 for this section, but what if you were on the dean's list for 6 semesters? should i put it down as only one? if i fill out 5, which semesters should i put down? thanks for your help :)
Personally I did not include the Deans List since when they see my transcript it will be on there as well as written in other essays i have. If you are using the Deans List, I would put it as one, otherwise it may look like that is all you have. Try to diversify as much as possible.

summersy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I would agree. I believe this section is for other awards besides deans list. Like a couple of mine were chemistry undergraduate excellence award and distinguished student leadership award. The deans list is a recognition, I do not think it counts as an award or like was said put it once

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status
Dental Student
The Dean's List is an honor, I see no harm in putting it for one of you five.

J

joh020340

We did not say that it was not an honor. It just that if you have others, I would put those personally. If you have a high GPA, they basically know your on the Deans List. If you send the school a transcript directly (some make you do it), they will also see it on there.

ngoel

10+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Mine was "Kub Kar Derby champion" in '89 and "most likely to kill someone" from my high school yearbook
Are high school superlatives fair game for dent school apps? I haven't really gotten a solid answer about that before.

Hugh Mannity

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Pre-Dental
Not sure about that. I would say yes if you still do them. I volunteer regularly for a program since high school still so I put that I started it in H.S. If you did a 1 time deal in H.S. I would probably not put that in.

EDIT: lol I though you guys were talking about EC's for a minute, then I finished the post and saw yearbook, how embarrassing.

firecracked

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Would honor society memberships go here also?

And what about nominations to honor societies? I've been asked to join a few, but I don't want to pay the $80 or whatever just to list it on my resume when I know I won't be active in it. Still, that doesn't take away the fact that I was asked to join and met whatever standards they set.

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
And what about nominations to honor societies? I've been asked to join a few, but I don't want to pay the $80 or whatever just to list it on my resume when I know I won't be active in it. Still, that doesn't take away the fact that I was asked to join and met whatever standards they set.
Only use something like this if you're desperate to find something to fill in. If you can list 2 or 3 legitamite awards, that's good enough. You don't have to max out every section.

Hugh Mannity

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Pre-Dental
I disagree. I think you should try to fill out every section (not where you put ridiculous things however). The more you have, the more well-rounded you appear. Its better to seem like you have more than what the application lets you put down opposed to scrambling to fill the blanks. Just my opinion though.