calamityjane

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
I'm a third year student trying to set up an away rotation for next fall. I applied to University of Chicago, and was sent a reply indicating that spots at U of C's main site were full for the dates I requested but that I could rotate at Lutheran General Hospital, Park Ridge instead. Any comments?

I realize that the same cohort of faculty and residents work at Lutheran, so the quality of teaching ought to be similar. I will only have the opportunity to complete 1 away and want the experience to be worthwhile. I'd appreciate any advice from people familiar with the site and University of Chicago program in general.

AmoryBlaine

the last tycoon
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I ended up cancelling my interview at U of C so admittedly I don't know a ton about the program.

However, I think you would probably be better off just rotating somewhere else than trying to do a month at a satelite hospital. Like I said I don't know how this particular hospital works but I'm pretty sure that at many "secondary" sites the attendings are not really considered faculty.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The ER at Lutheran General is high volume, suburban patient population, with lots of Blunt trauma and classic presentations for appy/chole/panc, etc. It's kind of the opposite of the University of Chicago where all the patients are indigent, have multiorgan system failure, don't know their meds, and the ER gets very backed up.

As far as wanting to do a rotation at Lutheran, the faculty there are top notch. Attendings are graduates from a variety of programs including UofC, Northwestern, Brigham, and Hopkins. They are great teachers and you'll work 1 on 1 with a resident and attending team.

The downside to rotating at Lutheran is that you won't get as much exposure to the UofC faculty (particularly Dr. Howes who is the program director). So if you're looking for another letter of recommendation, it would be more powerful to be at UofC and get a letter from them as opposed to the Lutheran faculty.

About the Ads

WakeMedHeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey waterski - how ya been?

Do you have plans for next year? Will you be at SAEM? If so, we'll need to grab a beer.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
Chicago
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What's up WakeMed... haven't seen you on here in awhile. Things are good in Chi-town. I've got a job lined up at a Hospital in evanston (north side of chicago). How about you. Are you planning on staying in the NE or going back south?

I don't think I'll be able to make SAEM.... Let me know if you're ever in Chicago...

WakeMedHeel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Nice...

I don't know what we're planning to do yet. I've got one more year....damn 2-4, but I'd like to stay in a large urban ED...so we'll see where the winds take me.

I'll definitely let you know about Chicago...probably for ACEP in October.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.