1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Away during research years?

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by imagiro, Mar 1, 2007.

1. imagiro

imagiro New Member

Hi-
    I'm currently a surgical resident at East coast program, and am thinking about going away for my lab years to California, not because there are no labs at my home institution, but because I'd like to be more close to my family during my lab years. Does anyone have experience with obtaining research fellowships away? I am wondering what the general process is. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dfagod

dfagod Member
    7+ Year Member

any thoughts anyone? I'm also interested in this.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We've had several residents do this, for either family reasons or the desire to work at a particular lab in the country.

They all had to find their own funding and positions (ie, the program was willing to write letters of support, but did not assist in finding funding or positions). They had to keep in close contact with the PD, and as I recall they came back to take the ABSITE here.

If your program requires you to take call while in the lab, it might be a problem. Having previous residents take this route before you will be helpful.

Make sure you know what the requirements are for returning - ie, you don't want to leave and then find that your position has been filled by someone else (never seen it happen, but my imagination does run wild sometimes).

5. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Ditto for the above in terms of ABSITE. Our lab rats had to take call over the Christmas-New Year's holiday season (the week of Christmas or the week of New Year's) but a few folks opted to do their research in other states. It wasn't that difficult to get back to the "mother ship" for one week as most labs close/go to minimal staff for the holidays anyway.