onboard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hey Everybody, First of all I wanted to thank all you guys for doing a great job on this forum especially Dr. Doan. I know this topic has been covered at exhuastum but I was wondering what your thoughts were about away electives. Specifically when is it best to do them? How much experience should I have before I do them? How do I choose where to do them? Which programs are known to be exceptionally good at teaching, especially any programs which has plenty Didactics. I am not particularly looking for a big-wig program, or one with a high volume but for one which the faculty are unusually committed to teaching.
Really appreciate your help.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2002
San Diego, CA
www.facebook.com
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Come to Iowa. e-mail: [email protected] (medical student rotation coordinator).

Best time: Late Spring or Early Summer during the year you apply.

Purpose: Learn about the program and possibly get a supportive letter from faculty.

Preparation: Come with enthusiasm. Read about new cases you see in clinic. You should know how to do the basic exam, and split your differential into broad categories: infection, neoplasm, inflammation, congenital, trauma, vascular, and idiopathic (dump for I/we don't know - often nobody knows).

Iowa is great for teaching medical students with daily lectures from sub-specialties. Hiliary Beaver, MD runs the rotation, and it's top-notch. I'm currently working on a basic ophthalmology book with Dr. Beaver for students and primary care providers. She is awesome.

Where to look? Here: http://www.eyerounds.org/rotations.htm

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads