sunnyINphilly

5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2010
Status
I posted this in another subspecialty forum but I felt that this would be relevant to every specialty participating in ERAS/NRMP:

If you have already received an interview at an institution that you consider your top choice, would it still be worthwhile to do an away elective at that same institution?
Not only to communicate a sincere interest in that program, but to use the time productively (get used to the teaching style, become comfortable with residents and meet senior/graduating residents, dabble in research interests, find a place to live)
I understand that this might be a waste of time if I was not to match at the place (in retrospect), but if you have winter month with a light elective (or nothing at all ) scheduled, I'd feel more productive and happier working at program I really want to be part of.

gstrub

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you have already scheduled an away elective at a program and have just received an invite from them, you MUST attend. How would that look?

On the other hand, if you are considering signing up for an away after they have offered you an interview, I wouldn't suggest it unless you are 100% certain it will help your chances dramatically. You have a good chance of shooting yourself in the foot if one or two important faculty decide they don't like you.

Just an opinion...

twilightdoc

Attending
Jun 12, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
On the other hand, if you are considering signing up for an away after they have offered you an interview, I wouldn't suggest it unless you are 100% certain it will help your chances dramatically. You have a good chance of shooting yourself in the foot if one or two important faculty decide they don't like you. Just an opinion...
Agreed. If the program is one of your top choices and you already have the away elective arranged, I would definitely keep it. But if you are contemplating the away elective (and it isn't "set"), you need to weigh the pros and cons- it is a month where you can really distinguish yourself, but also a month where you can look disorganized, demonstrate poor stress-resistance, etc. I think that a strong performance at an away elective can enhance your standing at that program, but a lackluster performance will work against you. If you are a borderline candidate on paper, you may want to roll the dice with the away elective. But if you are an excellent candidate on paper, consider all of the possible outcomes. (All of this presumes that you are doing the away elective before rank day).

I_love_UMKC

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
OP, sorry not trying to hijack your thread, but I had a similar question for all you experts here. I have an away elective scheduled at an institution where I have not heard any interview from. Can an away elective sway chances my way (if they weren't planning on interviewing me because I haven't heard from them while others have), assuming I perform well?

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
OP, sorry not trying to hijack your thread, but I had a similar question for all you experts here. I have an away elective scheduled at an institution where I have not heard any interview from. Can an away elective sway chances my way (if they weren't planning on interviewing me because I haven't heard from them while others have), assuming I perform well?
Sure, assuming you perform well. That may not be a safe assumption.

-AT.

I_love_UMKC

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Sure, assuming you perform well. That may not be a safe assumption.

-AT.
I had already scheduled my away elective way before the season even began. What do I have to lose, right? Perhaps, I just wanted to have this comfort knowing that if I perform well, I still have that odd chance of an interview (and perhaps matching) there...

Sep 8, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Most places extend a courtesy interview if you rotate there.

Just a passing thought: I did an away at a program I'm very interested in, did well (per the cheif and residents I worked with). However I"m pretty average on paper. They give interviews to everyone who did an away there. During the interview, how do you gauge what they think of you? Is it appropriate to be upfront about it? What's the best way to phrase it? How about "I love you, Program X, but how much do you love me? :love:"

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Just a passing thought: I did an away at a program I'm very interested in, did well (per the cheif and residents I worked with). However I"m pretty average on paper. They give interviews to everyone who did an away there. During the interview, how do you gauge what they think of you? Is it appropriate to be upfront about it? What's the best way to phrase it? How about "I love you, Program X, but how much do you love me? :love:"
There isn't any "code" for this, if that is what you are asking. From the perspective of the residency program (or any of its representatives, interviewers, etc), there is no incentive to provide incomplete information about its rank list prior to the rank list actually being made. And there is no incentive to provide complete information about its rank list after the rank list has been made. There really is just no reason why anyone would on interview day give you an accurate or inaccurate assessment of your chances. That's not what the interview is for. The interview is for you to kick the tires and for the program to do the same. If you treat it as such, you will be a much happier and less neurotic camper overall.

-AT.

atsai3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 15, 2002
Boston
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Most places extend a courtesy interview if you rotate there.
Sure, many do. Some don't. (e.g., a friend of mine rotated at UCSF but didn't get an interview. Sure it's annoying, but what are you going to do?)

-AT.