away elective at northwestern or u chicago

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by medicinehopeful, Jun 2, 2008.

1. medicinehopeful

5+ Year Member

hey all,
    is it worth the time to do an away elective at northwestern or u chicago if step 1 score is in the 230s? By "worth the time", I mean getting an interview.

2. Taurus

Taurus Paul Revere of Medicine
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You will typically get an interview at the place you did an away. Doesn't mean you will get accepted there.

For aways, I decided that to save costs it makes most sense to do aways at your home city or where you can stay with family or friends. Doesn't make much sense to spend $2000 to do an away that in the end may not influence decision-makers that much.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. hans19

hans19 I'm back...
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If you don't live in chicago, and you are not considering either as a top choice (for you) then, NO its not worth it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shaholin

shaholin Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have a similar question. I'm from a med school in NYC and I hear its hard to break into the midwest.. Would it be smart to do 1-2 aways in rads like NU/Rush/UIC/Uchicago.. I ultimately want to be in Chicago however don't really have any ties there except for the fact I went to undergrad there.

Thanks for any help.

5. PeepshowJohnny

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    According to the scuttlebut on Auntminnie, Northwestern had the highest number of applications this year of any program. If you REALLY want to go there, I'd say try to set up an away rotation there because it was hella competitive this year.

6. shaholin

shaholin Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't care if its particularly NU.. I mean NU would be nice but what about the other programs in chicago.. Like Rush, UChicago, UIC, Loyola, Cook County.. etc

I really want to go to a program where I can get into an IR fellowship..

Would being an NU alum give me any more of a chance? Also do away rotations (granted you don't blow it) really guarantee you at least an interview?

Thanks..

7. Labslave

Labslave Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Nothing guarantees you an interview, although in general a very high percentage of those who do aways (and don't blow it) get interviewed. :luck: