away elective at northwestern or u chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,
is it worth the time to do an away elective at northwestern or u chicago if step 1 score is in the 230s? By "worth the time", I mean getting an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,
is it worth the time to do an away elective at northwestern or u chicago if step 1 score is in the 230s? By "worth the time", I mean getting an interview.

You will typically get an interview at the place you did an away. Doesn't mean you will get accepted there.

For aways, I decided that to save costs it makes most sense to do aways at your home city or where you can stay with family or friends. Doesn't make much sense to spend $2000 to do an away that in the end may not influence decision-makers that much.

hey all,

If you don't live in chicago, and you are not considering either as a top choice (for you) then, NO its not worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question. I'm from a med school in NYC and I hear its hard to break into the midwest.. Would it be smart to do 1-2 aways in rads like NU/Rush/UIC/Uchicago.. I ultimately want to be in Chicago however don't really have any ties there except for the fact I went to undergrad there.

Thanks for any help.

According to the scuttlebut on Auntminnie, Northwestern had the highest number of applications this year of any program. If you REALLY want to go there, I'd say try to set up an away rotation there because it was hella competitive this year.

I don't care if its particularly NU.. I mean NU would be nice but what about the other programs in chicago.. Like Rush, UChicago, UIC, Loyola, Cook County.. etc

I really want to go to a program where I can get into an IR fellowship..

Would being an NU alum give me any more of a chance? Also do away rotations (granted you don't blow it) really guarantee you at least an interview?

Thanks..

Also do away rotations (granted you don't blow it) really guarantee you at least an interview?

Nothing guarantees you an interview, although in general a very high percentage of those who do aways (and don't blow it) get interviewed. :luck: