Mar 26, 2010
Status
Hello,

This question is probably more for the residents and attendings, but everyone feel free to chip in. I was wondering what you guys expect from visiting students at your programs? Should they have already done an ER rotation at home? I thought an away rotation would be more like a 4-week interview, but my M4 schedule might come out so that my first ER rotation would be an away rather than a home ER rotation. I was hoping to do a home ER rotation, and then an away.

My worry is that I'll show up ready to learn, but I'll be behind the curve because the other visiting students have already had ER experiences or that the attendings expect a foundation of ER knowledge prior to arrival. Thanks for your help!

Apr 29, 2009
Status
Medical Student
My school doesn't have an EM residency, so my first EM rotation was an externship. I had the same mentality as you, completely worried that my lack of experience in the ED would show (plus the pressure of not knowing if this was the specialty I really wanted to pursue.) Don't worry - as long as you worked hard during the first three years of school and expect to work you a** off during you away rotations, you will be fine. You already have the right mindset in that it will be a 4 week interview because it is, but for the most part, externships play into the students advantage in the end (for the most part.)

Don't worry about studying a bunch before the externship either, it doesn't matter. Just pick a solid review book (Deja Review, etc) and stick with it during the fall so you keep building on the principles you learn in the department.

Dakota

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
My first EM rotation was an away (couldn't rotate at home in July). It was fine. I agree with the above, show up ready to work, volunteer for everything, stay late to wrap up your patients, etc.

edgesofsanity

just some guy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
I wouldn't worry too much about the placement so early - remember, it's July - all the residents are new too (or at least bumped up a level into new responsibilities). Beyond which, you'll be rotating with EM students from the home program as well who will be close to your educational level. You should get along as well as you would if you did it later in the year, when expectations are higher anyway.