Away rotation confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDJ2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

First post to SDN, so please forgive me if I should have been able to find this answer elsewhere...I tried.

Background: I was initially interested in combined Med/Psych programs and have an away rotation scheduled for the upcoming block in Consult-Liaison. It was the only elective available, and I figured it would be a good time to meet the faculty/residents in both departments (of course with some extra effort put in to meet the IM team).

Issue: After some deep thought/reflection, I realized I'm less interested in the Psych aspect and want to just do Internal Medicine. I went into med school wanting to do psych, so I think maybe I was afraid to let go? Psh, sorry, I digress. To conclude, I've been extremely confused on if I should still do that away rotation.

Secondary issue: I haven't had a chance to complete my Sub-I or AI in Medicine at my home institution yet (currently scheduled for the following, October, block). Also my IM LOR is from a 3rd year faculty, which someone slyly mentioned to me wasn't as great as a LOR from my Sub-I (to add to my confusion).

Questions at hand: Am I wasting my time doing an away in C-L Psych? Should I stay at my school and just do my Sub-I now? Since my "revelation" was rather last-minute, I'm struggling to find the answer and wanted to see if someone on sdn could offer their 2cents.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The 3rd yr letter is fine (not ideal as strong subI letter but shouldn't hold you back) if the rest of your app is good for IM. Always go for the stronger letter. I had a kickass 3rd yr letter vs subI letter (no one in a position to write me a subI letter, that rotation was not organized well)

The psych rotation, if you're stuck with it could still be educational and helpful that way, and doing well even in psych at your desired institution for IM can potentially still be helpful if you do well, although not as good doing a subI in medicine there. (If this is an away). You can spin having done this as being pertinent to IM practice and helping you define career choice. That's good.

That said, not everyone has all LORs in for ERAS when they first apply, this isn't damning for otherwise good app.

If you can and you're confident tho it would go well the subI in medicine would be better.

The 3rd yr letter is fine (not ideal as strong subI letter but shouldn't hold you back) if the rest of your app is good for IM. Always go for the stronger letter. I had a kickass 3rd yr letter vs subI letter (no one in a position to write me a subI letter, that rotation was not organized well)

The psych rotation, if you're stuck with it could still be educational and helpful that way, and doing well even in psych at your desired institution for IM can potentially still be helpful if you do well, although not as good doing a subI in medicine there. (If this is an away). You can spin having done this as being pertinent to IM practice and helping you define career choice. That's good.

That said, not everyone has all LORs in for ERAS when they first apply, this isn't damning for otherwise good app.

If you can and you're confident tho it would go well the subI in medicine would be better.

Thank you for the reply. I think the stronger letter will come from the 3rd year faculty, so that was positive (and appreciated) reassurance. The only damning thing is having to potentially back out of an away rotation 1 week before it starts - I have a feeling that's rather frowned upon. Unfortunately, I won't be able to do a Sub-I in IM at said institution, the only elective they had available was C-L psychiatry.

Reactions: 1 user