MD Away rotation for M4 making a switch to FM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papito22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to switch into FM late in the game. Do I need to secure an FM sub-I/away rotation before I apply? I know this has been asked before, but I haven’t found anything recent and with everything becoming more competitive I’m just not sure if PDs at good programs will be expecting a sub-i from applicants.

US MD with good stats for FM and no red flags. Planning to apply in my home state and where I did med school so shouldn’t have any issues with regional ties.

Members don't see this ad.

If you already have an FM LOR you do not need to do an away. If you can get an FM sub-i at your home program and get a letter out of it, that may probably help a bit, but an IM or peds sub-i would probably also be fine if you don't have an FM one available at your school. By the time interview season rolled around, my only FM rotation was my M3 required one, and I hadn't done a sub-i (I did mine in January/February). Got more than enough interviews.

The PD at my #1 program basically told me that the biggest reason to do multiple “aways” in FM is really to get a feel for multiple programs.

Not as bummed at not getting a spot at my home program for my sub-i. It won’t exist for the match anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
How are your LORs looking?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it’s beneficial to do rotations at places you’re considering applying to. There’s nothing like spending 2 weeks somewhere to get a feel for how the residents and attendings really operate. I think all residents should do this, especially for FM because there are so many programs out there and "fit" is really important.

Reactions: 1 user