Away rotation: Should I go or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I go?

• Total voters

oOKawaiiOo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, its me again. Being super neurotic.

As some of you know, I'm shooting for Anesthesiology. I'm planning on going to do an away rotation in Anes-Critical Care from Mid-Oct into November. ITS NOT AN AUDITION ROTATION. Since interviewing season is coming up, I anticipate I might get a couple of interviews [****, I hope I do]. I don't want to the "that guy" who has to take missing days to go interviews and not sure how that will reflect on my grading and evaluation. I did apply to their Anesthesiology program and not sure if leaving to go on these "anticipated" interviews will affect me.

I do have a backup plan of doing a "safe" rotation where this preceptor would let me take any days off to go on interviews if needed and wouldn't affect my evaluation.

I'm a mess and need some assurance on what to do.

Should I keep the away rotation or not?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the benefits/risks? Do you gain anything from this rotation other than experience? Would going there help you secure an interview? Would you get a letter out of it (that you can still use?)

If the answer is no to all those, then it sounds like the stress/anxiety and likely money involved aren't worth it. If the answer is yes, only you can answer that.

Mid-Oct into Nov is prime time. Should go with your "safe" option

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently on an away and am regretting it every single day.

Did it for the interview but i don't even wanna interview here as I don't see myself here in the future.

I wouldn't do it.

Reactions: 4 users

Did it for the interview but i don't even wanna interview here as I don't see myself here in the future.

I wouldn't do it.

Yeah I am starting to regret my decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I am starting to regret my decision.
My first away was worth it, I have regreted them since the second onward tho. Its just a grind. At least my aways have been decent programs so far.

What are the benefits/risks? Do you gain anything from this rotation other than experience? Would going there help you secure an interview? Would you get a letter out of it (that you can still use?)

If the answer is no to all those, then it sounds like the stress/anxiety and likely money involved aren't worth it. If the answer is yes, only you can answer that.

Other than just clinical experience that is all I can say for certain. Not sure about getting an LOR and interview. I've been stressing over the past day that I laid in bed for over 24hrs and did nothing.

80% of me want to cancel and do the safe rotation. I would save at least $1300 and could use it towards traveling for interviews.

Thank you so much for your replies!

Mid-Oct into Nov is prime time. Should go with your "safe" option

I needed to hear this other than myself. Thank you for the confirmation!

I wouldn't do it.

I'm sorry to hear bro.

Other than just clinical experience that is all I can say for certain. Not sure about getting an LOR and interview. I've been stressing over the past day that I laid in bed for over 24hrs and did nothing.

80% of me want to cancel and do the safe rotation. I would save at least $1300 and could use it towards traveling for interviews.

I needed to hear this other than myself. Thank you for the confirmation!

I'm sorry to hear bro.

It is what it is.

The tinder beezies keep me occupied on my one day off a week.

• Haha
Hey guys, its me again. Being super neurotic.

As some of you know, I'm shooting for Anesthesiology. I'm planning on going to do an away rotation in Anes-Critical Care from Mid-Oct into November. ITS NOT AN AUDITION ROTATION. Since interviewing season is coming up, I anticipate I might get a couple of interviews [****, I hope I do]. I don't want to the "that guy" who has to take missing days to go interviews and not sure how that will reflect on my grading and evaluation. I did apply to their Anesthesiology program and not sure if leaving to go on these "anticipated" interviews will affect me.

I do have a backup plan of doing a "safe" rotation where this preceptor would let me take any days off to go on interviews if needed and wouldn't affect my evaluation.

I'm a mess and need some assurance on what to do.

Should I keep the away rotation or not?
Your quote use of “that guy” is confusing considering it is 100% normal routine to go to interviews while on a subI/ away during October/ nov/ dec

If a program is too dimwitted to understand this and holds it against you then it’s not somewhere you’d want to end up at anyway

Sounds like you outta drop it then. The cons >>>>> pros from what you're saying.

Your quote use of “that guy” is confusing considering it is 100% normal routine to go to interviews while on a subI/ away during October/ nov/ dec

If a program is too dimwitted to understand this and holds it against you then it’s not somewhere you’d want to end up at anyway

What would you do?

Sounds like you outta drop it then. The cons >>>>> pros from what you're saying.

I just feel terrible for signing up for something and then deciding to drop it. If I do go, I will be responsible for 4-5 patients at any given time. I could possibly make up the days, such as the weekends. I wouldn't mind.

Ive been reading previous threads on this topic and the generally idea of taking 1-2 days for an interview is "understandable." At most, 2 interviews within 4 weeks is acceptable.