Away rotation timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deciding

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How late is too late to do away rotation so they count toward the application process? My school requires that we take Step II by October so that limits the amount of time we have to do electives. If I took the boards in August then did my home AI in September that would leave me October and November to do away rotations. Is that sufficient?

Would it then be better to just begin interviews immediately after the two away electives or wait until January? My concern is that if I am doing away elective I want to impress them I'll definitely have to put in the extra time. This may leave me with limited time to plan my interview schedule and make airfare, car and hotel arrangements. Looking for some advice from those that have been through or are going through this.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

October is ok, November is a little too late for a letter and grade to be sent and make a difference for your application. It does not matter when you schedule your interviews, January is fine. Good luck.