Away Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seawolf

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, I am currently in the middle of doing an away rotation at a program that I really want to go to....as I approach the end of the rotation, is it appropriate for me to contact the program director just to let him know that I am here? Anyone have any experiences that they can share? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should definitely contact the PD and probably also set up a meeting with him/her. It will demonstrate your interest, and it will remind the PD to ask the residents and attendings how you are doing while your performance is still fresh in everyone's mind. Meeting with the PD will be kind of like an informal interview, and it will also be an opportunity for you to become a real person in the PD's eyes rather than just a name on a file, and to get some more of your questions answered about the program.

Many PD's expect that all visiting students should meet with them during their time at the institution. At the program I trained at, we told all our visiting students to specifically make an appointment with the PD during their rotation because the PD expected it and he valued the opportunity to meet with interested students outside of the busy interview season. You can ask the residents you are working with what the expectations are of their PD (I'm assuming they already know of your interest in the program)

You should also contact the PD before the end of your rotation, to give you some time to set up a meeting if he/she wants to talk with you.

Yes, definitely do this. I am also doing an away rotation and was encouraged to do so by the residents on my team, who said even if they didn't want to meet yet that it would put me on the radar and show my interest in the program.

As it turned out, not only did they want to meet me but they gave me my official interview. I think it was a huge bonus because I got to meet with the assoc PD directly instead of 2 random faculty members. Some places (like the one I'm at) do this partly as a courtesy, so that students who are overwhelmed with interviews later in the season have the option of not returning for the official interview date if money and time are tight.

Best of luck!

-BBB