Away rotations as an MS4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterjumper14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am an MS3 that finally decided on the field I will be applying to (ortho, but I'd appreciate input from anyone who did aways!). I know that I have to do several away rotations, but I'm not sure where to start planning this process. My main questions is: how do med students go about selecting schools to apply to for a sub-I? For instance: how do I judge schools where I could reasonably end up matching, since an away rotation is critically important? There are some schools that likely won't take me because of my step 1 score (around the median for ortho, so not off the charts), so it would be dumb of me to apply for a rotation there, correct? How common is it to apply for an away rotation and NOT get it? What do people do? Just pick programs in places that they like that tend to be strong in the fields they are interested in?

I've been googling this a bunch and I'm only getting results for individual programs, not information about how to select programs as a med student. Essentially, I'm clueless :laugh:

Thanks for your help!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you have an advisor for this at your med school you could schedule a meeting with? That'd be one of my first steps.

Reactions: 1 user
Places that you are interested in, places that are in the geographic area you are interested in, places with big name faculty whose names hold weight in your application, places that have a schedule that aligns with your school's schedule so you don't have to spend extensive time off.

I don't know how common it is to not get where you want to do an away but schools always favor their own students for good reason. But maybe there's not a lot of interest that year for whatever reason.